Spoting scope

Front-stuffers, smoke-belchers and .22 BPCR!
Bear
B Poster
B Poster

Spoting scope

Post by Bear »

Hi All,

I am locking for a new spotting scope suitable for BPCR has anybody tried the leupold SX-2 Kenai or what would you recommend .

Bear
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Spoting scope

Post by BrentD »

I don't know much about the Leupolds, but they are certainly NOT a popular scope for BPCR. Kowas and Nikons are much more popular and I use both plus, just recently, a Zeiss. One interesting comment I heard from someone is that the high end scopes like the Zeiss might be so good that it becomes hard to see the mirage, whereas a lesser scope like a Kowa will pick it up easily. I'm not sure whether I agree with this, but there may be something to it.

Large objective lenses are worth every penny. An 80mm lens is a must for me in a dedicated spotting scope. My Nikon is a 60 mm and it definitely does not show me the mirage like the 82 mm Kowa or Zeiss.

Personally, the shape of the scope is at least as important. Some like the 45 degree eyepiece for the spotter scope. I do not. I don't want to have to raise my head to see flags. So, I prefer a straight scope by far when spotting.

For a lay-down scope to be used from the matt, a 45 degree eyepiece is all but essential.