Tikka T3

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
gunbits
B Poster
B Poster

Tikka T3

Post by gunbits »

I'm still seaching for something with some accuracy and trigger out the box. I really don't want to tease the add-on parts for a few years.

Anyone use a Tikka T3?
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

Thought someone would have answered by now. I don't shoot a Tikka but several good shooters do, and like them. They have excellent reputations for out-of-the-box accuracy and tunable triggers. And the price is right. Now, what T3 designates, I do not know. Maybe someone who shoots one will help.
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

The older Tikkas -- designated the 695 -- were excellent rifles. The trigger is the same used in the Sako 75 and the Finnfire but, with the different geometry (heavier sear loading?) of the centerfire, it works better than in the smallbore.

I have a couple of them and they are outstandingly accurate.

The T3 is the current 'Beretta-ized' rifle and I don't particularly like it. The stock just doesn't 'feel' good to me. That said, the couple that I've shot were also accurate.

I've seen reports that there have been some Tikkas/Sakos (only stainless AFAIK) that have turned into grenades. Beretta's approach to this seems to have been, "Blown up rifles? We doan know 'bout no blown up rifles!"

If you decide on one, check with Beretta -- after these problems didn't just go away, they declared rifles in certain serial number ranges to be questionable due to a particular lot of bad steel and those numbers are available by calling the company. I have 'heard' -- but don't really know -- that not all the rifles in the range of numbers that are in question have been located and replaced.

Three or four years ago, I'd have called the Tikka the best rifle on the market at anywhere near its price. Now I'd hesitate to suggest one.
Gator
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Gator »

I purchased a T3 in 6.5x55 a couple of years ago with the help of Arnie Tovar. I love the gun and it will shoot sub-minute groups at 100 with both 107's & 140 MK. I have it scoped with a Weaver T-24 and it weighs a little over 7 1/2 pounds. Some weight might help but my wife and I both shoot it and believe it or not the recoil with 140's doesn't seem to bother her and she likes the lighter feel. If I were the only one shooting it I would probably add some weight.

Gator
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

another choice, if you can track one down is the Sako TRG. I've been shooting one in 6.5x55 for several years. Very nice off-hand stock, box magazine holding 5 rounds, smooth great feeding action, hammer forged barrel, decent trigger. consistent 1/2 moa at rams.
dave imas
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I think this is what the Sako TRG that Dave is talking about looks like. I can't think of any TRG other than the M995 that it could be.

If it's not, sorry. Just trying to give you an idea of what you're looking for.
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

thanks Jason. That's the one.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Unfortunately, I only know about the sporter version (M995) of the TRG because I was going to buy one last year that was "a 7-08 or 270 or somethin.." new in the box for a very good price. I was all excited because 270 Win is one of my all-around favorite calibers and I'd never even heard of one in 7mm-08 or any other short action caliber. A guy I met at the range was talking about it and I followed him home to buy it. When he brought it out, it was a 7mm Rem Mag, one of my least favorite calibers, and was all scratched up from being smacked around in a gun safe. I didn't even know they made them in the 6.5x55 like Dave has, which is another very nice all-around caliber.