Question from a SB shooter

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Question from a SB shooter

Post by shakes »

I currently shoot smallbore but would like to try highpower sometime, my question is are there any "over the counter" loads in 260 that would do the job? I've been reading alot of posts and it looks like most people that shoot highpower reload. Since I dont reload I was wondering if stock loads would do. :D
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

They'll do OK if that's your absolute only alternative. You already know how expensive it will be. I'm sure there's a 140 bullet available. Is there anything lighter?
The strength of this cartridge is the ability to use the great 107 Sierra/108 Lapua bullets for the three closest animals, combining relatively high BC with relatively light weight. It sure would be a shame to wham away at chickens with factory loaded 140's whacking you and at a dollar a whack to boot.
Handloading is not difficult, nor is it too expensive to get started. There's always some inertia there but look at it this way: If you like the sport you're definitely going to be handloading eventually, and sooner rather than later.
Silo65
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Silo65 »

Shakes

If you don't intend to reload then you would be better off choosing a more widely popular caliber such as 308Win. In 308 you can get match grade ammo from Black Hills or Fed. You can catch Black Hills for less than $20/box on sale. FYI my current cost for reloading 260 Rem is about $21/50. As AJJ said, if you intend to do this long term reloading makes sense.

6mmbr reports that for a limited time GA Precision is offering Black Hills 260 Rem w/139 scenars for $23/20. Can't beat that.

http://www.6mmbr.com/6BRBlog.html

Silo65