left or right facing

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
wherdthatunhit
B Poster
B Poster

left or right facing

Post by wherdthatunhit »

Also posted in smallbore.

Is there a correct sequence to set silhouette targets? We set them with the first three facing the same direction and the rams in the other.
Steven
Benton Gun Club, Arkansas
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: left or right facing

Post by GTS »

We set the rams that way because we shoot the white side due to the very dark background of the lower bank. But in answer to your question, NRA rules say "all targets of the same type shall face the same direction" or something close to that. So as long as all of the targets in all the banks of that animal face the same direction, it doesn't matter which direction that is.

Greg
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

I'm digging through the book and don't see anything on this.

Having said that. I've noticed at big matches that they alternate.

Chickens left
Pigs right
Turkeys left
Rams right

Just my peso's worth.

**== :ymcowboy: **==
Res ipsa loquitur
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Bigfoot,

Try Section 4, Targets, of the NRA Rifle Silhouette rule book. First paragraph, 4.1.

A lot of ranges face their HP targets the direction you mentioned because that is the way the smallbore targets face, assuming that you are using the cast targets that most ranges have. But there is no hard and fast rule other than all the animals in a bank have to face the same direction.

Greg
rogersptl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by rogersptl »

So is a 'bank' 5 or is it 10? My 2 cents - if all the same for all shooters then it is fine. We used to face 5 in the same direction, then the next 5 the other direction in order to balance wear and tear on the targets. Now going all one direction we are getting 'strained' targets that have trouble standing. These are HP cut from Jayloy(sp).
Close only counts with grenades and horseshoes.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

About half of our smallbore targets are cast so they have to face a certain direction. As for the high power we paint one side black and the other white. Because of the lighting conditions we sometimes have them facing white in the morning, but turn them to black for the afternoon match. So you get to shoot them all facing both ways!
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
MetalMisser
B Poster
B Poster

Post by MetalMisser »

Those addicted to the same way every time will go nuts when faced with having to track across a different part of the animal before busting a shot. Not setting them all the same direction for each match will mentally toughen a shooter when going to another range that does not set targets as you may at home. As they say in sniper school shooting is seriously mental and as Yogi Berra said "baseball is 90 percent mental and the other half is physical."
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

At my regional and even at monthly matches, we change the direction of targets match to match. Our backstops are white screenings and the targets are black...and I have demonstrated an expertise in missing them no matter which direction they face :D
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

That was funny Snake, I Shot some beer out my nose when I read about you expertise. I am getting real good at it too. =))