Where to get a stock.

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
MOAhunter
Unclassified Poster

Where to get a stock.

Post by MOAhunter »

I have an itch to buy a low recoiling rifle for offhand shooting, 708, 6.5X55 or 260 perhaps. I really like my Sako and would likely consider another for this rifle too. I don't compete but may in the distant future, the plan right now is to have a very fun rifle to shoot varmints, targets and backup deer rifle.

Where are you guys getting your stocks? McMillan, Wooster? The ones that look like Anschutz FWT 1712 stocks.

I already have a couple good silhouette scopes for this project so I just need to buy or build a rifle. Recommendations for builds appreciated.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Where to get a stock.

Post by frankmako »

check boyds gunstocks for good stocks.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Check out the new Tikka Forest. They have a factory wood stock that's very similar to the 1710. It's a great design for offhand shooting.
I bought a .260 and a 6.5 X 55 and they both shoot extremely well. I really like the Swede.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

cslcAl wrote:Check out the new Tikka Forest. They have a factory wood stock that's very similar to the 1710. It's a great design for offhand shooting.
I bought a .260 and a 6.5 X 55 and they both shoot extremely well. I really like the Swede.

Al Foust
Al, do you find the Tikka to be too muzzle light? Sure seemed lighter than my Anschutz when I handled them at the store.

Liked the grip shape though!
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

MOAhunter wrote:I have an itch to buy a low recoiling rifle for offhand shooting, 708, 6.5X55 or 260 perhaps. I really like my Sako and would likely consider another for this rifle too. I don't compete but may in the distant future, the plan right now is to have a very fun rifle to shoot varmints, targets and backup deer rifle.

Where are you guys getting your stocks? McMillan, Wooster? The ones that look like Anschutz FWT 1712 stocks.

I already have a couple good silhouette scopes for this project so I just need to buy or build a rifle. Recommendations for builds appreciated.

McMillan used to make one for the Rem 700 that was just like the Anschutz, but sadly they stopped production. I emailed them about it last week and was informed they don't make it as a special production either.

I think this means we are left with Pharr or Wooster. The Wooster stock may be more forgiving, but at least I could not use the Pharr stock for anything other than silhouette. Your mileage may vary as they say.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

MOAhunter wrote:I have an itch to buy a low recoiling rifle for offhand shooting, 708, 6.5X55 or 260 perhaps. I really like my Sako and would likely consider another for this rifle too. I don't compete but may in the distant future, the plan right now is to have a very fun rifle to shoot varmints, targets and backup deer rifle.

McMillan used to make one for the Rem 700 that was just like the Anschutz, but sadly they stopped production. I emailed them about it last week and was informed they don't make it on special order either.

I think this means we are left with Pharr or Wooster. The Wooster stock may be more forgiving, but I could not use the Pharr stock for anything other than silhouette. Your mileage may vary as they say.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

SqHunter, compared to what most shooters use they are light in the muzzle. For my current situation that is what I want. I have found that as I have gotten older the excessive muzzle weight is harder to hold. Even with my lever guns I have gone to lighter barreled guns.
I really like the cheek piece and grip of the Forest stock. For me at my stage of HP shooting this is all I could ask for in a rifle. I still have a 700 with a #4 tapered barrel in a Nesika stock, and will use it for STD HP on occasion. However for the money and versatility I don't think you can top the Tikka Forest.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

cslcAl wrote:SqHunter, compared to what most shooters use they are light in the muzzle. For my current situation that is what I want. I have found that as I have gotten older the excessive muzzle weight is harder to hold. Even with my lever guns I have gone to lighter barreled guns.
I really like the cheek piece and grip of the Forest stock. For me at my stage of HP shooting this is all I could ask for in a rifle. I still have a 700 with a #4 tapered barrel in a Nesika stock, and will use it for STD HP on occasion. However for the money and versatility I don't think you can top the Tikka Forest.

Al Foust
You are likely right on that last statement. If Whittaker's had one in .243 I would likely not own my current Remington :shock:
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

McMillan has the patterns for just about any action you might have. They make a great standard rifle (heavy rifle) stock. For a great light weight stock (carbon fiber) Steve does a real nice job. :-bd
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Jerry G wrote:McMillan has the patterns for just about any action you might have. They make a great standard rifle (heavy rifle) stock. For a great light weight stock (carbon fiber) Steve does a real nice job. :-bd
Is the Wooster stock usable as a hunting stock too?
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

I use a wooster on my Savage PTA action and its chambered in 7mm br. its a comfortable stock and its very close to the fit of my Robertson composite pharr that is my anschultz smallbore rifle.
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

Frank Carrillo in El Paso is also making stocks on, I believe, the Pharr/Robertson molds. I have seen several of his stocks and those that I have seen have been quality products. Dan
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

The Wooster stock is a hunter style stock. It is very light and well built. Don't tell Steve that I said a nice thing about his work. :))
MOAhunter
Unclassified Poster

Post by MOAhunter »

I can't locate a Tikka Forest in the caliber I need so I'll likely have to build a 700 to my liking.
Too bad McMillan doesn't do a 700SA inlet In a 1712 - that would have been ideal!
Anyone willing to share Steve Wooster contact info?
Appreciate the recommendations.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

MOAhunter wrote:I can't locate a Tikka Forest in the caliber I need so I'll likely have to build a 700 to my liking.
Too bad McMillan doesn't do a 700SA inlet In a 1712 - that would have been ideal!
Anyone willing to share Steve Wooster contact info?
Appreciate the recommendations.
I sent you a PM with his contact info. Good luck!