Tikka T3 Forest Scope Mounting Question

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Tikka T3 Forest Scope Mounting Question

Post by atomicbrh »

About a month ago I told a friend about the Tikka T3 Forest. So, yesterday he shows up with a new 260 Remington in the box. How are you guys mounting scopes on these rifles? Are you using the factory provided rings for the grooved receiver or does he need to buy different rings and use the drilled and tapped holes in the receiver?
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Tikka T3 Forest Scope Mounting Question

Post by DavidABQ »

I don't have a Tikka rifle but I do know that. Murphy Precision can make custom scope rings.

Their off the shelf titianium scope rings run an affordable $295.00.
Heavybarrell
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Heavybarrell »

Several years ago I had a Tikka 695 in 6.5x55. I knew weight was going to be an issue so used Davidson 2 piece flat top bases and kelbly single screw rings. Great lighweight set-up.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

I recently bought 3 Tikka Forests. I guess you could say I sort of like them. I did not like the factory rings, they were too low for me.
I went with the Davidson bases and Kelbly rings as Heavybarrel mentioned. The have worked out great.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

I used the factory rings with a Leupold 6.5x20 EFR they fit but i have trouble getting these scopes to come back far enough to not have to stretch my neck forward.Add a sweatshirt and shooting vest and its just a dime size view with a black halo around it. On this and many Remingtons to be back closer to my eye without hitting a turret or bell.I have tried every combination of extention ring available
With Remingtons. I finally had to cut my own weaver bases.
Anybody else have this situation.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

As many have said the factory rings were not high enough for me either. I have them on now but have a set of Talley 1 piece on the way for it. Herrmit 5 maybe if you didn't have such a short little neck you wouldn't have the issue you are having. HAHA.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

44Mag,

You know he's gonna call you a turkey neck!
Team Sierra Member
GabbyJs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by GabbyJs »

Picatinny Rails are available for the Tikka T3. They allow scope mounting back about as far as possible. Windage adjustments in the scope may be a problem, but slight adjustments can be made with the mounting screws to counter that problem.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Here's my Tikka T3.
I used Leupold base & ring set for a Tikka T3
Whitetail Hunter 54447 -2 piece base set
Super High Rings 49906 2 piece ring set
These are the half turn locking bases so you need to make sure you align
Tikka Rings.jpg
them properly before putting your scope in.
There should be a image attached if I did it right.
ppkny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I shot a couple matches with my tikka t3 lite last year. I used the factory rings. I'm currently in the market for something a little higher and more mobile. The front ring with its locking stake puts the setup too far forward for me. I love the concept of that front ring being locked firmly in place, they just picked the wrong place IMO.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

the photo in ppkny post shows exactly the problem i encounter with Leupold 6.5x20 EFR.
The rear mount is nearly as far back as will allow the bolt to open.Both rings are against the turret or bell of the scope.
When i shoulder the rifle with my eyes closed with a vest or sweatshirt,to a comfortable cheek weld.Now open the eyes and the view is a dime size opening with black halo.To get proper image i have to force my head way forward.The eyepiece is already adjusted back as far as can be.Can it be the combination of my eyeglasses or what.Anyone have this problem?
I am of average build and neck despite what gobbler neck 44 mag says.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

You guys are right about it being at the rear limit but this works for my setup. I use a simple method to set all be scopes for MY proper eye distance. By putting a light in the front of the scope and projecting the rear focal point on a piece of paper I can measure that distance and than adjust the scope position calculated from the butt end. Where the dot on the paper is in focus is where your eye should be when you saddle the gun to shoot.
Tikka Rings Scope-1.jpg
ppkny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Here's a turkey neck set up. This shows the Davidson base Kelbly rings and you can see there is lots of room to move to the rear if needed.

Al Foust
image.jpeg
Team Sierra Member
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

Al,has spoken and shown the way.Thanks