Finished my build

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
mjtripper
Unclassified Poster

Finished my build

Post by mjtripper »

I finally finished converting my 308 to a silhouette rifle to start some high power this summer in addition to the small bore I already do. It's a remington 700 5r milspec and has always been a good shooter so figured it would be a good one to start with. When the barrel is gone I will probably go to 6.5cm but still have some life left in the 308. I'm a couple ounces over but if I take the sun shade and flip up caps off I make weight. Anyway, here it is:
FullSizeRender.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Finished my build

Post by Jerry G »

Looks good. Welcome to HP silhouette. :-bd
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Right on! Glad to have another shooter on the HP line.

**== :ymcowboy: **==
Res ipsa loquitur
mjtripper
Unclassified Poster

Post by mjtripper »

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. A guy at the range got me hooked on small bore last year and I'm really looking forward to the season starting. I've been practicing against a 12in gong at 200m and can hit it just over 80% of the time and hope to get that higher before the first match. It's a square so a little more forgiving then the shaped targets but it's good practice for me anyway.

It took a long time to get this thing built and I had to do a lot of inletting work on the stock around the barrel and trigger plus the lop was almost 16". It's a hs precision and was supposed to be drop in but wasn't even close. I used an aluminum trigger guard and bolt shroud and replaced the firing pin with a fluted version. The biggest gain however was swapping my scope, base, and rings for the lightweight talley setup with my old leupold lrt I had in the closet. That dropped almost 2lbs. I could probably drop a little more with a rifle recoil pad but I had an extra pachmayr xlt shotgun pad so used it instead. It's a solid .75 minute rifle and I've had it out to 800yds so I figure for this game if I can't hit the target - it's not the rifle :oops:

Now my biggest problem is I shot through all my loaded ammo and have to get around to getting a bunch of it made. I still have over 1000 smk 175gr bullets so that's what I'll use for now.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Thats a nice setup you have there. I just shot my 308 last year for the first time at high power.

Have you thought about getting the 155 palmas for everything but the rams and just using the 175's on those? I understand using what you got, but no need to get the shit kicked out of you with 175's at chickens....
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
mjtripper
Unclassified Poster

Post by mjtripper »

I might pick up some 155s and try them out, save the shoulder a little. I'd have to wait for it to warm up a bit to do some load development and then get a new set of come-ups. One of these days . . .
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I actually used 150's last year, but the 155's have such a higher bc I'm thinking of moving to those.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.