What is the best action for Silhouette?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: What is the best action for Silhouette?

Post by edgehit »

No one mentioned an XP-100 action. Shorter than the 700. Light. Single shot with solid bottom but legal for hunter class
- Joe
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Interesting response. I would not have thought of that one.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I have an xp converted to a rifle. Its slightly lighter than a 40x (about the same as a short action 700...maybe slightly heavier)....I had to change the bolt handle, add a Sako extractor, true the action, add a lightened cocking piece shroud......after all that it works great....its still heavier than my Stolle. Its a good choice anyway, its stiff, compact and has an excellent lock time. The Model 7 action is the same size but has a magazine cut....that's a viable choice
Antitactical
Unclassified Poster

Post by Antitactical »

Bat actions are slick as butter. The panda doesn't have a recoil lug it is a big square aluminum action and the back of the action acts as a lug. I personally like Kelbly and Bat. Stiller,nesika, stiller, haver Kamp, etc are all good actions. The small BAT would be my pick if it will eject.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I happen to have a Stolle Kodiak action w/o the magazine cut (they will do that if you ask), it has an integral recoil lug and a spiral bolt that's a Remington clone except it has a Model 70 type extractor and a cone shaped breech face. Its light, stiff and has a steel insert for the barrel tenon. My objection to it is the trigger holder...it won't take my Kenyon trigger without machining the trigger case. I also have a Bat SV action....very small beautiful but won't eject a loaded 7-08 and the Bat scope rings are a sight to behold... :D
mshelton
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mshelton »

Stevens 44 1/2
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Snake wrote:I happen to have a Stolle Kodiak action w/o the magazine cut (they will do that if you ask), it has an integral recoil lug and a spiral bolt that's a Remington clone except it has a Model 70 type extractor and a cone shaped breech face. Its light, stiff and has a steel insert for the barrel tenon. My objection to it is the trigger holder...it won't take my Kenyon trigger without machining the trigger case. I also have a Bat SV action....very small beautiful but won't eject a loaded 7-08 and the Bat scope rings are a sight to behold... :D
Let me know if you need to dispose of that 'defective' BAT SV. As a public service to a fellow Silhouette shooter I would help you out.

Update my choice for a HP action.

I came very, very close to getting a BAT SV but decided on the Stiller Predator which I ordered today.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

Oh no my BAT SV is anything but defective...its tiny and beautiful and glass smooth...is an absolute masterpiece of machining...a fella could mount it on the mantle as a work of art....right next to my J&E forged aluminum pistons for my Harley....Just kidding I put the pistons in the Harley :D
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

mshelton wrote:Stevens 44 1/2
Shouldn't that be in the "blackpowder" section. ;)
Taps
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

My Stiller Predator arrived today.

Unfortunately it had a hole in the bottom.

It was a repeater and I was expecting a single shot. LOL

The replacement should be here in a few days.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Not sure if a "better" action will result in more targets down in an offhand game but it's always nice to have top of the line equipment.
To me silhouette is alot more about the shooter than thousandths of an inch on a paper target, for every edge hit I miss there seems to be a corresponding hit when I was off the target an inch, it all evens out. ;)
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

kevinbear wrote:Not sure if a "better" action will result in more targets down in an offhand game but it's always nice to have top of the line equipment.
To me silhouette is alot more about the shooter than thousandths of an inch on a paper target, for every edge hit I miss there seems to be a corresponding hit when I was off the target an inch, it all evens out. ;)
+1
Nice equipment is great to have. One thing I love about CLA is the non equipment race. As I talk to my old HP friends, I love the "you shoot what at 200 yards" Yes a lever action 30-30. Kills them.
chuck
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Most any rifle out of the box will kill HP animals. If your rifle shoots 1 MOA you can compete very well. The equipment race is a big bunch of BS when you are shooting offhand. A re barreled 700 will shoot right alongside a $5,000 custom job on the line. It's the Indian, not the arrow.
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

Jerry G wrote:Most any rifle out of the box will kill HP animals. If your rifle shoots 1 MOA you can compete very well. The equipment race is a big bunch of BS when you are shooting offhand. A re barreled 700 will shoot right alongside a $5,000 custom job on the line. It's the Indian, not the arrow.
AMEN.......