The Fool In The Mirror

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

The Fool In The Mirror

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Rode my Goldwing motorcycle over 400 miles this weekend -- over a mountain pass and with 100 or so of those miles in a driving rainstorm --- to shoot over 200 rounds of high power rifle cartridges in the Washington State high power championships...... won a small class award, very small (and probably because somebody else forgot his bullets on the second day!) ..... and feel this morning like someone beat me with a rubber mallet. Vanity and ageing. They don't mix well. Truly, the only person worth competing against... is that damn fool in the mirror.

My wife figures that the small wall plaque I brought home cost us in the neighborhood of $1600 in bullets, lodging, match fees, and the new barrel that Master Loren Peter put on my old Rem 700. Damn fool in the mirror!

I wonder why he's grinning......
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: The Fool In The Mirror

Post by Jerry G »

Oh the high cost of self inflicted pain. It has no end.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

That sounds like fun to me!

Who won??

Dustin
Last edited by dustinflint on Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

dustinflint wrote:That sounds like un to me!

Who won??

Dustin
Mietenkorte, Boos, and Davis...... The Usual Suspects! Jason won Triple A.
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
Special Ed
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Special Ed »

You had a good time and won a little wall plaque! I'd say that was $1,600 well spent.

Congratulations!
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Re: The Fool In The Mirror is grinning

Post by richard »

Because he had a good time and has some good memories which is really all there is of real importance in this life.
Richard
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: The Fool In The Mirror is grinning

Post by OnaginOffagin »

richard wrote:Because he had a good time and has some good memories which is really all there is of real importance in this life.
Kah-Bam! Right on, sir! In the end, memories are all we have, and if we've lived effectively ..... they are many, and joyful. I have tremendous memories of the Pe Ell Sportsman Club and the matches they sponsor....tremendous memories. In what other sports venue would the match director (Steve Wooster) take home your poorly reloaded bullets and fix them for you, on his own time, and who would then take nothing for his efforts? And I ain't even a contender....... proud to be affiliated with this game.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Remind her that this is still a damn site cheaper than a girl friend.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

BCloninger wrote:Remind her that this is still a damn site cheaper than a girl friend.
Huh. I might just pass on that. She's a redhead, see. In the twenty-six years we've been together, I've made her mad only twice -- both times in the first two months -- had to replace most of my house windows the first time, and walk six miles back home....in the dark... the second. Yup, think I'll pass, but thanks anyway!

:D :D :shock: :shock: :D :D
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

OnaginOffagin wrote:
BCloninger wrote:Remind her that this is still a damn site cheaper than a girl friend.
Huh. I might just pass on that. She's a redhead, see. In the twenty-six years we've been together, I've made her mad only twice -- both times in the first two months -- had to replace most of my house windows the first time, and walk six miles back home....in the dark... the second. Yup, think I'll pass, but thanks anyway!

:D :D :shock: :shock: :D :D
Married a redhead, huh? You do like living dangerously...
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
David M R
B Poster
B Poster

Post by David M R »

Nobody asked, how did you carry the rifle on a Gold wing?

I ride a BMW R1200R and I can only carry hand guns.

David
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

David M R wrote:Nobody asked, how did you carry the rifle on a Gold wing?

I ride a BMW R1200R and I can only carry hand guns.

David
On the way over to the match, my hard-holding friend, Erich Mietenkorte, carried it for me in his Ford 250. But he had something else to do after the match, and so I strapped the plastic case sideways on the back seat handrails of the Wing. Stuck out a little, about a foot on each side, but I forgot about it in the first 50 miles -- and it seemed to travel just fine. I'm trying to come up with a way to carry it vertical on one side, standing upright on one of the passenger floorboards, but as yet haven't figured it out ......
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Special Ed wrote:You had a good time and won a little wall plaque! I'd say that was $1,600 well spent.

Congratulations!
If you were a bass fisherman you would spend $60,000 on a boat and trailer, another $60,000 on a truck to pull it, $5,000 on rods and tackle and $100's on gas to catch 10 pounds of fish. That works out to something like $12,500 a pound. I'd say you came out way ahead!
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

SteveD wrote:
Special Ed wrote:You had a good time and won a little wall plaque! I'd say that was $1,600 well spent.

Congratulations!
If you were a bass fisherman you would spend $60,000 on a boat and trailer, another $60,000 on a truck to pull it, $5,000 on rods and tackle and $100's on gas to catch 10 pounds of fish. That works out to something like $12,500 a pound. I'd say you came out way ahead!
Now that! That might be something I can use with the Redhead! I'll take her to Cabelas, and pretend to be looking at $5K rods and $60K bass boats..... and while she's yelling about it (which she really never does!), I'll meander over to the gun section and pick me up a cowboy lever action rifle! Thank you sir! That's like the high school cheerleader who went home one afternoon and told her Dad she was pregnant. After he had floated down from ceiling, she said, "Just kidding, Dad! Bye the way, can I have a car?"