.260 Rem 700 feed issues

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
gundog
B Poster
B Poster

.260 Rem 700 feed issues

Post by gundog »

Meet Nicky my newest match rifle. It is a Remington 700 chambered in .260 Remington bedded in a Mark Pharr/Robertson composite stock. Using Sierra Match Kings in 107gr & 140 gr. at COAL 2.730 and 2.762 respectively, Rifle groups can be covered by a nickle at 100 yards consistently.

I have feed issues when closing the bolt:
1. When placing either 1 or 2 bullets in the internal magazine and attempting to close the bolt the cartridge is moved by the bolt into a position of such great angle to the center line of the chamber that the bullet will not slide into the chamber. Picture 2,3

2. When performing single load by placing the cartridge in the action and attempting to close the bolt the bullet tip rests below the lowest part of the chamber and hits the barrel at the bolt face counter bore which . Picture 1
Another way to say it is that the center line of the cartridge is too far below the center line of the chamber.
Jiggling the rifle a little allows the cartridge/bullet tip to find the chamber hole and then I can easily close the bolt on it.

Is this "normal" for the .260 using match high BC, pointed ammo?
Is there a fix?
Is it legal by match rules, to machine a block and place it into the magazine well to guide the bullet into the chamber during a single load operation? Something like a Bobsled used by the Service rifle shooters for long distance single load course of fire.posting.php?mode=post&f=2#
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: .260 Rem 700 feed issues

Post by Boyd L. »

I have similar issues getting long seated 75 grain .224 A-Max bullets to feed from a center feed Savage. My answer is to drop rounds on the mag lips and carefully feed.
The solution you've asked about should be legal IF I understand correctly that the rules were recently altered to now allow a shooter to single feed rifles that are designed and manufactured to feed from a magazine. You wouldn't have to machine a block to act as a loading ramp. They are offered for sale by a number of vendors specializing in benchrest accessories.
Can your feed lips be altered to release the round sooner to preclude the premature binding of the cartridge?
shooterxtc
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shooterxtc »

I believe Boyd is correct that you can single load now. The best procedure I have found is to tilt the rifle forward at the firing line and drop straight in the chamber. It looks like your bolt is overriding the cartridge. I would be willing to bet the feed lips on the internal mag are compressed or your oal is slightly longer than it should be for mag feeding. With the new rules single loading is the best way to go anyway.
gundog
B Poster
B Poster

Post by gundog »

Thanks guys!
I found this -Score-High Bench Rest Single Shot Follower Remington 7, 600, 700, 722 Short Action Medium Cartridge Length Aluminum
online. I will give it a try.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/22097 ... h-aluminum

I will cerakote the action and buff the barrel after i'm satisfied that the rifle is working well.
Lilja 3 groove #4 contour 26" SS match barrel
Here is Nicky...............
Remington 700 in 260-Nicky 2016-08.jpg
Nickle140grVarget2016-08-08.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Your magazine is not aligned properly. Sounds like it is too low.
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

You rifle looks like it shoots really well, really nice! I've had R700's override the cartridge like that when the bedding is too high/thick and also from weak magazine springs. What cartridge was the rifle originally chambered in? The magazine box looks like it is not high enough to allow the bolt to pick up the rim properly.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

It looks like the bolt has touched the top of the rim to start the feed but when the bullet feeds at too steep of an angle, the rim of the cartridge drops and the bolt slides over it. Either lower the action or raise the magazine. Take your pick.