Back at it....

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
xswanted
Unclassified Poster

Back at it....

Post by xswanted »

Hi guys, new here.

I shot high power silhouette for years growing up stopped about age 23, that was 11 years ago and I've got the bug to get back in the game.

My former rifle was turned into a long range target gun but was a 24" hart barreled, trued 700 laid in an old McMillan silhouette stock chambered in 308.

It was a great rifle and served me very well for many years.

I'm going to reuse the stock and build a new rifle. I'm leaning towards the 6.5x47L. I'd like a 23 or 24" barrel.

It seems guys are having good luck with the 6.5s these days. Is it a legit round to knock over a ram at 500m?

What are guys using for optics? I had an old old Tasco 6-24. Worked awesome and tracked well but I got to believe a new Leopold or some other brand of lightweight scope is the new thing to have.

Let's here it. What have I missed?

Thank guys.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Back at it....

Post by OldRanger »

Maybe you should consider a 6.5 creedmoore for your new rifle. That way you can make use of some of that 308 brass you have laying around. And yes, they can knock over rams. A lot of folks use Leupolds but if you have the tasco strap it on! As long as it tracks well no reason to ditch it. The only true advantages of a leupold that I see are the light weight and the better glass. But the glass is mostly an issue during low light, and we don't do much of that.

And welcome back!
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

If you go to a 260 all you have to do is neck down the brass. All other 6.5s have shorter cases.
xswanted
Unclassified Poster

Post by xswanted »

Thanks guys,

I should have mentioned the 308 brass I had has been since used in another rifle or discarded or recycled to someone else.

I've thought about the 260 (dad shoots one) and I've thought about the Creed (had one and sold it) I like both my problem lies in the fact that I like to play with different stuff all the time, thus since I haven't had the 47 yet I may as well try one.

I'm glad to hear guys are knocking Rams over.

What bullet choices are people using? 140s for everything or 107-129 for CPT and the heavies for Rams?
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

The 6.5 X 47 is an excellent caliber choice. Yes, the brass is expensive, but it will last you twice or 3 times as long as other brands, especially if you anneal the case necks after every 4 or 5 firings. The 6.5 was developed specifically for precision shooting with long barrel life and has a proven track record. I have used the 7-08, 7BR, 308 and I shoot both the 260 Rem and 6.5 Lapua. I am slowly converting to the latter, as the 260 barrels wear out. I use 120-123 gr. bullets behind eitherVarget or Benchmark powders for CPT and 140-142 grainers pushed by H4350 for rams. Velocities with all bullets run 2650-2700 fps.

As far as scopes go, you cannot go wrong with a Leupold 6.5-20X with target turrets or an older Weaver T-24 (El Paso-made) or Japanese-made T-24 with 1/4 min. adjustments.

Welcome aboard!
Joaquin B
xswanted
Unclassified Poster

Post by xswanted »

Joaquin B wrote:The 6.5 X 47 is an excellent caliber choice. Yes, the brass is expensive, but it will last you twice or 3 times as long as other brands, especially if you anneal the case necks after every 4 or 5 firings. The 6.5 was developed specifically for precision shooting with long barrel life and has a proven track record. I have used the 7-08, 7BR, 308 and I shoot both the 260 Rem and 6.5 Lapua. I am slowly converting to the latter, as the 260 barrels wear out. I use 120-123 gr. bullets behind eitherVarget or Benchmark powders for CPT and 140-142 grainers pushed by H4350 for rams. Velocities with all bullets run 2650-2700 fps.

As far as scopes go, you cannot go wrong with a Leupold 6.5-20X with target turrets or an older Weaver T-24 (El Paso-made) or Japanese-made T-24 with 1/4 min. adjustments.

What barrel length are guys running on a high power setup? I really balance well with a 23-24" but I see many guys use a 26" these days. That seemed to be unheard of when I was active with it. Or maybe I just didn't realize what people were using back then!

Welcome aboard!
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

24 inch barrels with a muzzle diameter of 0.700 inch work best for me. Other shooters prefer heavier or reverse taper contours. Your best bet is to ask some shooters to let you handle and shoulder their rifles so you can evaluate which barrel contour provides a better balance for you.
Joaquin B
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote: All other 6.5s have shorter cases.
I thought the 6.5x55 Swede was longer ttjan a .308 case? Have I been misinformed?
:(
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

6.5x55 swede has a case 55mm long....a 308 is 51 mm both have rims of . 473 despite the fact that the swede varies between .478 (CIP drawing) and .470!!!!! The mystery of European designs. The 260 is based on the 308. But ask yourself why limit yourself to 142gr bullets burning about the same volume of powder as a 7-08 when the 7 will take up to a 180gr or as light as a 120 and there are a wide variety of 7mm bullets. Having shot both....I remain with the 7-08.......There are no magic calibers. 6mm Bergers are the rage in 600 yard and F class....superb accuracy...not so good on rams. Take the 260 or a 7-08...make your life simple,,,,and work on your hold and the fundamentals. You will recognize that off center hits ( the head-neck or rump) seem to always take rams down. I used a 250-3000 in hunting rifle for years and rarely lost a ram....(all 'bad' hits) Shot placement seems to be as important in this game as it is in hunting game