243 winchester loads

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

243 winchester loads

Post by Ken Green »

I just got set up for high power. Most of my high power shooting will be in Gonzales, Louisiana with Jerry, Dustin, Joe, Dewey and the rest of the shooters. I decided to go with a 243 Winchester because we mainly shoot swingers that are scaled for 300 yards. I also found a like new Mossberg ATR100 for $212 dollars out the door at Cabela's in Gonzales. I then purchased a Boyd's laminated stock for it to wear. So I have maybe $500 in a new to me high power rifle.

Now some of you will say that the 243 winchester is under powered and I should have went with something else. If I was going to be shooting a lot of full size and full distance hp matches, then I would have went with a .260 Remington. But most of my hp matches will be in Gonzales on the 300 yard swingers. We only have to hit them. We don't have to knock them over. So for right now, the 243 Winchester is all the rifle that I need. I am going to try to make Zwolle this year. This will be My first full size match.

I have 3 different 100 grain bullets to choose from. They are the Sierra # 1540, the Sierra # 1560, and the Hornady Interlock # 2453.
I will be using a 100 grain bullet for all 4 animals.

For the chickens, pigs, and turkeys, I will use 28.0 grains of Accurate 2015 to push the 100 grain bullet.

For the rams: I will use 35.0 grains of IMR 4350 for the Sierra #1540 and the Sierra # 1560 or either 37.0 grains of IMR 4350 for the Hornady Interlock # 2453.

Now on to my actual question.

Which of the 3 loads, will be the most accurate for the cpt?

Which load will be the most accurate for the ram load? Thanks Ken
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 243 winchester loads

Post by edgehit »

Ken,
Only your rifle knows which one is most accurate. Shoot it off the bench on paper targets and see.
- Joe
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Swingers are a different game and need to be approached different. Our club runs a 200 yard Full size Ram swinger match for iron sight lever and single shots. Strikes spotted by the off relay and marked with colored push pins on a spotting board. It's very popular with many matches waiting list for a spot. 32 shooter capacity.

Lightest load always wins the match except if you go too light spotters can't confirm the strike and you get a miss. We put 3 -4 on a target and paint / rotate the relay after they complete 10 shots each. Get a few good shooters in a relay the Critters paint gets shot up and best if the bullet knocks the Ram with some authority.

Other thing is it's easy to hit a full size Ram at 200 so high hit rates are needed to win the match. 36/40 will win most days some 38s one or two 39 nobody has ever hit 40 and the match has run a very long time. It's a totally different game from NRA rules Silhouette.

Look at the match carefully see what it takes to win. Local matches local rules somebody has probably figured it out. Without knowing the detail, I would use a special rifle set up for that match only with a light recoiling load that shoots well. From what you said why run different loads.Get it set up forget the load and focus on the target.

Boats
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Boats: The 200 meter swinger match sounds like it would be a fun match to shoot.

Maaybe I need to clear something up. I asked about the different loads because Zwolle is the State high power match. I will be shooting the full size animals at the full distances. That is why I am asking about the different loads that I have.

I was hoping someone might have experence with these different loads. Our local 300 yard range (at the sheriff's range) was flooded and is closed. I don't even know if we will be on it for the September match. If not, I will not have a place to even test rounds at 300 yards. I will be having to check loads and get the numbers for the animals, maybe even the day before or the day of the Zwolle match at the Zwolle range.

I will be loading the 100 grain Sierra #1540, the Sierra # 1560 bullet or either the Hornady Interlock # 2453 with 28 grains of Accurate 2015 for the 200 meter chickens, the 300 meter pigs, and the 385 meter turkeys.

I will be loading the 100 grain Sierra #1540 and or the Sierra # 1560 bullet with 35.0 grains of IMR 4350 or either the Hornady Interlock # 2453 bullet with 37.0 grains of IMR 4350 for the 500 meter rams.

Please let me know if anybody has tested these loads for accuracy . Thanks Ken
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

When I had a 243, I shot rams with a 100 gr Sierra pushed by 44 gr of 4831. Knockdown was just a little over 60%. You need to hit them in the head or butt to take them off.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

For a 243 I'd shoot one load, a ram load on all critters. Why complicate things with 2 loads to develop?

My accurate hunting load is 36 gr Varget under 95gr Nosler. This developed 2785 fps SD=7 in my 18" Rem 600 and groups 1/2" at 100 yards. I have no idea what it does at long range or on steel.

Your rifle will be different. Test at the shooting range you have access too and take the most accurate to Zwolle. I can tell you right now that those bent up Rams can be stubborn to knock off the stand with a 6.5 so you'll have a few ringers with the 243.
- Joe
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I used IMR4064 with 100gr bullets. Laser accuracy.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Another dang 9: Which 100 grain bullet did you use? What distance did you test them at?
I just hope my Mossberg ATR 100 is accurate and will hold moa at the rams.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I was using both Speer BT spitzer and Sierra GKs. Rams will be tricky but until you lose more than you hit don't worry about it. My gun liked the Speer over the Sierra. Sorry Al...
Sierra has the best load data for the .243 IMO.
If you drop down to a 95gr. Bullet your bullet choice is even better. Since knock down power is not an issue I would go with them. Burn up what you have and enjoy. One question. What is your twist rate.
NRA Endowment Member
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I have seen some slow twist bbls shoot the Hornady 105. If you have a 7 or 8 twist, the 107 Sierras work very well.

Remember, the long bullets usually don't stabilize until you get out to 200m.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I have a 1 in 10 twist factory barrel. The 95 grain bullets that I looked at need a 1 in 9 twist rate.

I am always open to trying a different bullet if the Sierra and the Hornady don't work out.

If i had a faster twist barrel, I would be shooting the 107 grain bullets for the rams.

I hope the range dries up, so that we are able to get on the range for the 4th Saturday of this month. It sure would be nice to be able to put some rounds down range on paper and off hand before the Zwolle match.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Ken the 95gr. Will stabilise in a 1-10 the 105gr. may not. Since knock down power is not an issue. Try the 95gr. or even the 75gr. Much more choice of bullets than any of the 105-107gr.
NRA Endowment Member
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

If I can't get the 100 grain Sierras and or the 100 grain Hornadys to shoot accurate, I will try some of the 95 grain bullets. I did try some of the Sierra 70 grain #1505 bullets with 30 grains of Accurate 2015. They did not group at 100 yards in my rifle. You would not believe how much the wind pushed them around at 300 yards. It was so bad that I couldn't even shoot a group for accuracy.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I've never had good luck with that powder no matter what cartridge I tried it in. The .243 likes medium burn powders anyway. IMR4064 worked best and it worked well with both light and heavy bullets.
NRA Endowment Member
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Another Dang 9 wrote:I've never had good luck with that powder no matter what cartridge I tried it in. The .243 likes medium burn powders anyway. IMR4064 worked best and it worked well with both light and heavy bullets.
I guess you are refering to not having any luck with the Accurate 2015 powder.

What about the IMR 4350 powder?