Magpul Hunter stock

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Magpul Hunter stock

Post by mychippy »

Has anyone tried the new Magpul Hunter stock? It seems to have a great selection of features, such as changeable cheekpiece and length-of-pull, and should meet competition requirements (requires change of parts to adjust). Plus they can accept AICS mags (which will accept a fairly long OAL), and they're pretty cheap, as stocks go.

The grip appears to be pretty skinny and laid out at a funny angle, so that could be a downside. Never handled one myself. Do you think it would work well as a silhouette stock?
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Jason »

Calling that stock a hunting style stock is pretty big stretch if you mean to actually use it as a hunter class rifle. On a related note, I saw what I thought was a great new custom hunter silhouette stock on a rifle last weekend. It had a great pistol grip with vertical section and great grip all around. It felt amazingly good in offhand position. I was pretty surprised when the guy told me it was just a Hogue overmolded stock.

https://www.hogueinc.com/stocks/remingt ... hortaction

I'm not even sure it was the higher end version with the full-length bedding block. It certainly shot very well, though.
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

With the Hogue stock, isn't it difficult to get your head up high enough to look thru the scope? Maybe it's different in highpower due to the recoil, but in smallbore we generally try to get the cheekpiece up as high as is allowed...

Is it really a stretch to call the Magpul stock hunter class? It's not thumbhole, and I don't think it has any illegal dimensions. Assuming it makes weight, what would disqualify it from hunter class?
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

There are a few reasons.
  • It's not shaped like a traditional hunting stock, so it's in that unclear area of the rules and it's up to the buyer to show up at a match and risk not being allowed to shoot in hunter class.
  • At 2.3" wide, the forend is even wider than the the max forend width (2.25") for a standard class rifle. Hunter class rules say that it can't exceed the dimensions for standard rifle, in addition to having to be a traditional hunting style stock.
  • Judging from the pictures, it looks like the standard cheek riser that comes on the rifle extends up above the centerline of the bore (note that you can buy lower cheek risers, though)
Even if it did somehow qualify, it weighs 3.0 lbs without the bottom metal and doesn't have a vertical pistol grip so doesn't really provide a lot of features for use in silhouette matches.

mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

Still not sure I agree with your assertion that this is an illegal stock...

1. It does have an unusual look, but it's basically just a stylized take on a plain old rifle stock. Kinda geometric with a few extra flats here and there. Functionally it's handled the same way.

2. 50 thousandths is not much - that's about the thickness of a credit card on either side of the stock. A little sandpaper would take that off no problem.

3. There's several heights of cheek riser, so I'm sure they have a competition legal one.

4. The Hogue overmold stock is 2lb 10oz, so that's what, six ounces less? The weight doesn't seem like too big a deal.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

For a local match, the match director might let you shoot the rifle in hunter class. If you get one and take it a major match, let us know if it is allowed. Even if not ideal for silhouette, having another option for shooters to choose from could be beneficial.
Varn
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Varn »

Jason,
While I agree with your assessment of the rule I disagree with it not being a legal hunter stock if the forend width was reduced. I saw a HS Precision Anschutz MS style stock on a hunter rifle go though the jig and tech inspection at nationals on two separate occasions. Greg Conner allowed it and declared it a legal hunter. If that stock is legal the Magpul should be as well. This is the exact stock that was used. https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/rifle ... ck-psc028/ I do not know how to add a picture to this post.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

That's great to know, Varn, but that HS Precision stock doesn't really resemble the Magpul to me. I don't run highpower hunter matches, though, so my opinion is only that, an opinion. Here's the picture of the HS Precision stock.

Varn
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Varn »

Thanks for posting the picture Jason. That is the stock I was referring to. And I'm in the same boat. I don't run HP Hunter matches either. I've competed in dozens of them though. Probably over 100. I just have an opinion as well. For the original poster mychippy. The best thing to do would be to obtain some pictures and get them to Greg Conner. Let him make a ruling on it. If he disallows it you didn't spend the money for it. If he allows it, have him mail you a letter stating such and take it with you to matches. This will eliminate any speculation on whether it is legal or not as well as take the load off of the match director. The match director is in a no win situation if someone complains. If you do the above he can say it was already ruled on and it's not an issue.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Is Greg Conner still involved with Silhouette or did he retire (or get replaced, whatever)?
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Some Match Directors may question the interchangeable spacers, since the the rules do specify "fixed".
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
sdwooster
A Poster
A Poster

Post by sdwooster »

Looking at the stock it should be ok if, you get a lower check piece and file sides off. They probably would never catch it at Nationals, but better safe than sorry. If you showed up at my match it would be know problem. the down side it the weight of the stock. With a 3 lb. stock and a 9 lb. limit you will need a lite scope and rings and a lite barrel to make it. A action with a 26'' barrel on it might not make it. But the Silhouette committee will be going over the hunter rifle stock at the meeting I believe. So we should know what is needed to be legal, hopefully.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Varn, the rules for SB and HP hunter are the same except for the weight. I am not sure anyone would want to use a 3 lb stock and go skimpy in the rest of the rifle. Seems backwards to me.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

sdwooster wrote:Looking at the stock it should be ok if, you get a lower check piece and file sides off. They probably would never catch it at Nationals, but better safe than sorry. If you showed up at my match it would be know problem. the down side it the weight of the stock. With a 3 lb. stock and a 9 lb. limit you will need a lite scope and rings and a lite barrel to make it. A action with a 26'' barrel on it might not make it. But the Silhouette committee will be going over the hunter rifle stock at the meeting I believe. So we should know what is needed to be legal, hopefully.
What aspect of the hunter rifle stock will the Silhouette committee be looking at?
sdwooster
A Poster
A Poster

Post by sdwooster »

At this years Nationals there was a shooter using a stock similar to a Anschutz 54 stock. It made it through the inspection and was shot for 2 days I believe. Then Protested on the final day. The jury looked it over and came up with a decision that it was similar to a thumbhole design. And ruled it not to be shot the final day. The ruling was made because rule 3.1.1 (c) said Hunting rifle style stock-thumbhole type stocks not permitted. So I think they are going to look at how the wording for hunting is written up. And probably make it more easier to read and make a ruling. Because the wording also states that it must conform to the rule 3.1.(d) which is the standard rifle stock spec's. And that is what the person based his stock by. All this info is from what I can remember form the match, but its been a while. And my memory is not like it was. Hope this answers your question. I personally don't really care about what stocks people use, you still have to stand up and hit the targets.

Steve