New Sierra MK bullet?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

New Sierra MK bullet?

Post by SteveD »

I'm seeing references of the rumor type, about a new 6 mm, 110 gr, SMK. Can anyone (Al???) confirm or refute this?

The rumor that it has a BC higher than .600. This would make a superb bullet for my new 6 BR rifle. :)

If it exists or is coming I would like to be able to consider its shape when throating the new rifle. :) At present I am planning to use the 107 MKs. Not likely that the ogive is the same to achieve that BC being only 3 grains heavier.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: New Sierra MK bullet?

Post by Ken Green »

Steve D. There is no 110 grain 6mm bullet listed in the Sierra 2016 product guide.

What is new for the 6mm is the 95 grain TMK # 7295. It has a BC of .500 and it requires a 9" twist or faster.

There is a new 7mm 160 grain TMK # 7660 with a BC of .615.
Modo
Unclassified Poster

Post by Modo »

Yep, it's true. Coming soon.
In the real world, Sierra’s new 110gr 6mm MatchKing may not have as big an edge over the competition as it seems from Sierra’s claimed 0.617 G1 BC. (The G7 numbers may be closer.) Nonetheless, we do expect that Sierra’s new 110-grainer will be very competitive, and may actually have best-in-class BC. And if the new 110gr SMKs come “tipped” from the factory that will be a very good thing
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... 617-g1-bc/

James
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Thanks James!!

Unfortunately, not for me.The rifle I am building will be an 8 twist so I will shoot the Sierra 107's. Still an excellent choice.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

You better be looking at a MV of 2800+ to do any damage to the rams.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

SteveD,

Here is the reply I got from the plant.

Al,

This IS a new bullet from us, it will be available soon. The prototype testing has been done and the bullet finalized. It is NOT the 107 ogive it is a completely different bullet and does indeed have a high BC. Suggest that anyone interested contact the Sierra Tech line via phone or email for further information.

Tommy Todd
Chief Ballistician
NRA Endowment Member
1400 W. Henry St. Sedalia, MO 65301
Phone: 660-827-6300 | Fax: 660-827-4999

Sierra Sig
Team Sierra Member
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Thanks Al!

Sounds like an awesome bullet!!!

These are interesting times for shooting. Serious science is being applied to bullet design resulting in bullets such as the Sierra TMKs and this new MK.

This 110 along with the new Tubb bullet may be reaching the bounds of optimum bullet design for a copper jacketed, lead core bullet.

It will be interesting to see where things go from here.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Are they listing a recommendation on twist rate? Something tells me it will need to be a very fast twist to handle the new design.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Hey Steve, nice to hear from you.

What is the news with the Tubb bullet, something better than his DTACs?
GabbyJs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by GabbyJs »

I just used the numbers for the Sierra 110 gr. MK thru the custom bullet description on the Sierra Bullets Infinity Suite ballistic program. The new 110 gr. MK @ 2700 fps muzzle velocity will deliver 976.5 ft./lbs. of energy and a momentum of .98 lb./sec. at 500 meter Ram distance. In Sept., I used a 6mmBR with 115 gr. DTAC bullets @2700 fps to shoot 10 rams from a bi-pod rest. All hits were at slightly different heights above the front leg. All 10 rams went down. The 115 is showing 1861.2 ft/lbs. of energy at the muzzle, but less at 937.2 ft./lbs with a momentum also at .98 lb./sec. at 500 meters. I'm sure not every club's targets will fall similarly, but it is an indication. That velocity is accomplished with 29.0 of Varget. My barrels are 8 twist, and I'm anxious to see if the new bullet will shoot accurately, since David Tubb's website didn't have any more 115 bullets available the last time I checked.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

Hey thauglor! Still in China. Probably be back to Phoenix for a bit in mid to late December, early January, then back to China.

I don't remember the specifics of the new DTAC. Seems as though it is an improved version of the 115, maybe a few grains lighter?
Boyd L.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Boyd L. »

Another Dang 9 wrote:Are they listing a recommendation on twist rate? Something tells me it will need to be a very fast twist to handle the new design.
1-7