Nice start in 2017

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Nice start in 2017

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

We had our first HP match of the new year yesterday in perfect winter conditions. Eight of us enjoyed sunny, very calm conditions with a high of 40 from a start around 20. Recent snow was melting making for slippery berms setting up muddy targets. Mr. Bonner was both gun match winner with a 25 and a 29 using a 6.5 BR he put together. A couple of rams laughed off the 143 gr. Hornady ELDX he used, maybe too much mud on the animals. :D I was close behind in score and maybe might have tied him if my 7mm 150 SMK's would have knocked over ......four rams! :shock:

I just got this refreshing email from a new member of CRC:

Sent: Monday, January 2, 2017 9:24 AM
To: bobmcalice@msn.com
Subject: High Power Silhouette

Hi Bob,

I would like to shoot in these matches but have never done so. I would like to use my .308 Win as it is my hunting rifle. Nothing fancy, just a bashing hunting rifle that is accurate with my hand loads. Would that work? I don't want to be the crazy new guy with a rifle as described if everyone else has custom made, long range precision laser guided muzzle break recoilless 2 pound rifle with a 2x95 scope. I just like to shoot and think I could learn from some of the more experienced shooters.

Dan

....yep, 2017 is looking good. I sent him Jerry's excellent website info and will call him today.
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Nice start in 2017

Post by Grizz61 »

Yes Bob,

It was an excellent start to 2017. What better way to start a new year than with a High Power match in the great Colorado Sunshine.

All us that shot appreciate your hard work and dedication to our sport.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

McAlice, If you broke down and shot a new modern rifle cartridge (6.5) you may have at least tied Bonner. =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I'm jealous. We have many feet of snow now, and are expecting a HIGH of -3 F tomorrow. I think we'd have to use a backhoe just to get to our rails. Then the targets wouldn't fall over cause they'd be snowpacked!
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

We have had very little snow so far around the Denver area, Old Ranger. I hope your snow is gone by the time of Ironman. It's on my schedule this year. Hey...you still owe me a beer.

Bob, I am living proof that you can not teach an old dog new tricks. I was using one of my practice guns, the M77 in 7-08 with 12x Leupold Sunday. I shoot 150's at all of the targets with this one.
I think my rams were mud frozen to the rail. :wink: 7mm rules.

However, (keep this to yourself :-$ ) I did buy one of those SPS 700's in .260 with the 24 inch 8" twist barrel last summer just before I moved. I unscrewed the barrel and sold the rest. It is now attached to an A prefix shiny short action in an HS hunter stock. The barrel marking ended up 90 degrees low and hidden from curios eyes. I put a 6.5-20X Leupold EFR tiny dot on it. Oh man does it shoot! Any bullet weight, brand, using Varget produces itty bitty groups. I did some limited weekday off hand testing on targets with great results. I think the .260 could be a pretty good silhouette round. :D
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Bob Mc Alice wrote:I did buy one of those SPS 700's in .260 with the 24 inch 8" twist barrel last summer just before I moved. I unscrewed the barrel and sold the rest. It is now attached to an A prefix shiny short action in an HS hunter stock. The barrel marking ended up 90 degrees low and hidden from curios eyes. I put a 6.5-20X Leupold EFR tiny dot on it.
Oh dear lord, what is happening in the world? The Guru owns a 6.5mm rifle and put something other than a 12X scope on it! Everything we knew to be true in the world is gone! :shock: :-\

See you and that new, improved rifle in early June in Montana, Bob. I'll try my best not to stick any "We told you it was better!" signs on your back when you're not looking. =)) :))
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Dammit Jason. You beat me to it! The end of the world has arrived! The guru has gone 6.5mm!

Narf!

**== :ymcowboy: **==
Res ipsa loquitur
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Yes the world as we knew it has changed, or it's just Guru Bob getting soft and listening to the masses on the 6.5 praises as being superior :D

On another note, this means those shooting a 260 need to start hiding any 260 rounds they have as the Guru usually shoots 500 rounds at a match and that's just practicing =)) =))
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Bob Mc Alice wrote: Hey...you still owe me a beer.
Yup, haven't forgotten. If we're both at Iron Man I'll pay up. Hopefully we won't be shoveling snow off then, but if we are at least there will be something to keep the beers cold!
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Hmmmm.......Bonner told me "coming out" on SC would be painful. Not too bad so far, but we have not heard from Beckley, Grenz or the Snake yet.

Don't worry Jason, this is just an experiment. It was a cheap way to wring out a 6.5 for me. After selling off the parts the barrel was only $125. I had all the other parts to make a decent rifle. Dave sold me bullets and I made 300 cases from RP 7-08 . To date it has 366 shots fired with Varget only. No need to test other propellants. 37.0 to 37.5 with 107's , 120's up to 142's prints tight. Barnes 140 match burners printed a golf ball size group at 500 M one day.

I did shoot the two November matches with it "under cover". Only my spotter knew it was a .260.
One sharp eye shooter next to me said my rounds looked different. I assured him they were just 7mm Sierra seconds. Then the same guy hears me later tell the spotter " that was a 142 that just rang that ram". He looks puzzled then I tell him " a 140 7mm game king ,too" Damn guy has fantastic hearing. It was windy that day so a lot of shots hit the dirt. So far I feel no real difference in recoil compared to my mild 7-08 ammo. I did lose three rams that day, but our rams and rail are about the most inconsistent I have fired at.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

You don't have to justify it to me, man. I won't judge you. See you in June. =))
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Bob Mc Alice wrote:To date it has 366 shots fired with Varget only. No need to test other propellants. 37.0 to 37.5 with 107's , 120's up to 142's prints tight. Barnes 140 match burners printed a golf ball size group at 500 M one day.
This is great news! I've got the Guru working up 260 loads for me too! Woohoo!
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis