HP Rifle question

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

HP Rifle question

Post by ChuckD »

So If one was to start with a new HP rifle, what caliber would you recommend?
I use to shoot a 14 all day, no problem, 80+ rounds. But getting older and thinking the body doesn't like recoil as much as it use to ;)

Would be interested in any factory or wildcat that will do the job, and be easy on the shoulder.

Thanks
chuck
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: HP Rifle question

Post by Another Dang 9 »

6 or 7mm BR.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

Of the 6 or 7BR, I would go with the 7. Also, it is very important to install a soft recoil pad. I installed them on all my rifles and could shoot all day in a t-shirt if I wanted to.

Pachmayr T550 Deluxe Trap Recoil Pad 1.1" Medium Pigeon Face Black with White Line
$31.99

These are very mild pads and if you store the rifle upright, you need to use the pin to prevent deformation of the pad.
Tony
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tony »

What is the pin you mentioned?
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

The "pin" would be a metal or hard plastic pin about an inch long pressed into the upper pad screw hole. It makes contact with the pad screw allowing the gun to stand up right on a hard surface. The pin takes the pressure of the guns weight away from the softer rubber pad during storage in a gun safe for example. Always remove said pin from pad before shouldering a ready to fire rifle. :wink:
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Always remove said pin from pad before shouldering a ready to fire rifle.

Been there done that; ouch!

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Any of the 6.5 rifles are great. The light 107s for the 3 animals and something like the 138gr to 142gr just for the rams. I run my bullets around 2650 fps for all animals. They all fall when I hit them anywhere. The 6mm is a little light to take the rams with a front leg or heart hit.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Mr.Bonner has been messing with a 6.5 BR he put together recently. Most of his rams fall OK with the Hornady 143 gr. ELD and a max charge of ....who knows. Me, I will recommend the 7 BR just because it is 7mm. Bigger and heavier bullets moving at a slower speed has known ram killing performance the 7 BR is famous for. After all, it is just a 7mm-08 "short". :mrgreen:

Quote from some research:

I've also been using one for many years in my HP Silhouette rifle. Good performance, very accurate and just a very mild recoil to deal with, it's a great combination. You will occasionally ring a ram, but that's the trade off you make for shooting for such a mild cartridge. Not the greatest Silhouette cartridge I've ever used, but certainly not the worst, either. I use 140, 150 and 168/175 grain bullets in mine.