Tikka Rifles

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Tikka Rifles

Post by glen ring »

Who has experience with Tikka rifles. I'm looking at a 260 and it seems like a good gun.
Just Be Nice **==
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Tikka Rifles

Post by OldRanger »

I use a 308 for hunting and high power. It shoots better than 1 moa and is smooth as silk. The trigger is a good crisp single stage that is adjustable with the low end being about 2.5 pounds. I single feed it for competition since the magazine limits oal too much for my loads. I'm not very good with it for HP, but for hunting and off the bench it shoots great. Oh, I have the superior left handed version but my guess is the substandard right hand version would be much the same. That cover it?
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Despite what Old Ranger said have you considered this an opportunity to have a custom rifle built? You could use a custom action with a custom barrel. Add in a premium exhibition grade wood stock from Canyon Creek and you can have yourself a masterpiece.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

I just bought a third one to build into a 6br silhouette rifle. I have 2 of their t3 target models, one in 223 for xtc and another in 6.5x55 that I switch for long range and silhouette. The rifles are great, feed reliably, crisp trigger, shorter bolt lift and smoother than some of the custom actions I have handled.

Both of mine are about 1/2 moa guns without too much load experimentation.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Dave, the rifle you describe is at least twice (probably 4x) more expensive than an out of the box rifle. I'm considering getting a silhouette stock on mine to see if it helps, but the rest is fine. I shot a group of 5 under half an inch at the 200m line, so its more accurate than I will ever be. Also, I hunt with it (with a scope change) so its really a twofer for me.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I don't doubt that a custom rifle will be more expensive. I just pointed out the opportunity the OP has. I did not belittle the Tikka product, not even the dangerously substandard left hand model.

I simply promoted the idea of a custom rifle.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

A custom will always be that little bit better, but for $599, the T3 Forest in 260 is hard to beat: http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-fores ... tf621.aspx
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

The beauty of one of these is that you can shoot both classes with it Glen. Buy the "Forest" model and don't look back. Just ask Al. :D
Also gives you a great deer rifle for your other exploits. :-bd
Taps
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Old Ranger
Now THAT is the kind of review/feedback I am accustomed to. To the point, first hand knowledge and an opinion. None of this crap.." I know a guy who had a brother that owned one" Thanks for the reply.

David
I have considered having a custom made rifle made, but Jeanne and I are retired public servants and to fund my shooting addiction till I'm worm meat, I need to ration my firearm's purchases. Besides all that , taking a stock rifle/pistol and beating someone with a custom firearm is an admitted flaw in my character I can't seem to get over. Factory all the way for me.

Taps
My brother , you are right...again.
Just Be Nice **==
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

For what it's worth. I own two custom HP rifles and bought a Tikka a couple months ago in 6.5x55 to have a loaner hunting rifle because they were such a good deal. First two loads I put together were sub MOA so I loaded up 50 rounds and have it in the safe for whenever it's needed. If you're working on a budget these are the HP answer to the CZ's in smallbore.

~o) :ymcowboy: ~o)
Res ipsa loquitur
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I am glad that Glen ring gave a custom rifle some consideration and I hope he is estatic with whatever rifle he decides upon. \m/
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

David
Thanks.
I can't shoot any of the factory guns to their potential, so a custom gun makes no sense to me right now.
I hope to see you at the Whittington center this summer.
Just Be Nice **==
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Glen, each of my sons bought T3x's in 30-06 for this past deer season, and both rifles were attractively blued, had nice wood, and the triggers were set ~3.5 pounds from the factory. I cleaned and oiled each one, topped them with Talley rings and Leupold scopes, checked action bolt torque, bore sighted them from the workbench, and took them to the range. Both rifles grouped well at 100 yards, but since they're hunting rifles I only verified they were sighted in, without bothering to measure or record how well. Mark, my younger son, took two deer with his and brought back 18 rounds from his box of 20. Not bad.

More recently I bought a T3 Forest in 7-08 that came in with really nice wood and some very solid rings. It's topped with a Leupold VX 3i 6.5-20x40 Target that needs to go back for a reticle change, but I have fantasies of shooting high power this year if I can manage the travel. It's waiting in my gun locker for the spring semester to wrap up before getting a range trip, so I can't yet tell you how well it performs. The only things I'm tempted to change on it are LOP, and pillar bedding. Considering what the rifle cost, even with that work this rig is still a bargain.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Bob

I have a 7-08 Weatherby vanguard 2 in 7-08. It shoots pretty good for three shots. I wanted to go with something with a little less kick so I was looking at the 260. I may just man up and shoot it.

I just sent a Leupold 6.5x20 efr scope to the factory for a reticle change. 60 bucks..but be prepared for a wait of a few weeks. When you call the custom shop number just be prepared to be on hold for a while.

The nearest place I can shoot HP silhouette is Benton. We have never been there but will probably try it this summer .
We will be shooting with James Slusher a couple of times this season. We hope to see you there.
Just Be Nice **==
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

I have a Tikka .260. Jerry has a Tikka 6.5x55 and 7mm-08. All are great. Accuracy is outstanding. Actions are really smooth and easy to operate. Locktime is good. Triggers are good. Stock ergonomics are pretty good.

I don't think you can go wrong with Tikka. For an out-of -the-box silhouette rifle it's the one to get. Savage is really good too.

Get one!

Dustin