Ripple Effect

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Ripple Effect

Post by DavidABQ »

I for one like the "What gun/caliber to buy?" threads myself.

I am debating whether to keep and older, plastic stocked Remington 700 in .308 and have it re-barreled plus re-stock it or go with a new rifle.

The caliber thing is somewhere else I am slowly educating myself about.

I hope the threads continue.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

David
I learn something about shooting every day. This last year I learned a tip about mental preparation from a 16 year old air rifle shooter. When I stop learning Jeanne will spread my ashes on the CLA range at Raton. I enjoy listening to other's talk about what works for them, but I have become selective and now only take advice from seasoned shooters. Talking on this forum allows us to acquire knowledge..what works and what doesn't.
Just Be Nice **==
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

DavidABQ, we have been debating what size cartridge is best since SC first came to be. :) Several weeks back you posted a picture of that M700 .308 you have. BINGO !! That is a good one to get your feet wet with. Many still use a .308 for HP. I nearly wore out a new M788 in that size before downsizing to 7mm. I am not sure if you hand load, but you can buy light load ammo from Hornady to get started in HP. It is not the best caliber, but not the worst either. Get out there and use that rifle. Start another "what is best" thread or go through the volumes of history already discussed here.

Gotta go, I got fences to mend. Seriously. The wind knocked down two sections of my cedar fence last week. :lol: :mrgreen:
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Whatever you decide to do as to your "final" decision on calibers - keep the Remington.... 700s are like a 10-22. You can add, change and rebuild them into endless configurations and play different games to your hearts content. When I use up (if that ever happens) all of my 7-08 components I will re-barrel for .260 and start over with a "new toy" and shoot it ....until I ring a Ram and go to the next magic bullet... :))
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GSL »

HI ,
I do not believe for a SECOND that the NRA shooting sports will COLLAPSE because of you ...
I am not sure about the opposite ... i.e. Will you collapse without YOUR shooting involvement ?
I am a life member and will NOT be asking for a refund ...
You do what you HAVE to and be responsible ENOUGH to accept the repercussions of YOUR OWN decisions .
Good luck , GSL .
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Glen, does Jeanne know you talk like this?! Get a pair of close-out Tikka T3's, have your gunsmith pillar bed them, and top 'em with a pair of nice Leupold's. You've still blown your $1,800 budget, but you're out of the dog house for way less than two custom rigs, and you've got rifles that will take you a long way before an upgrade is in order.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Merlin wrote:Whatever you decide to do as to your "final" decision on calibers - keep the Remington.... 700s are like a 10-22. . :))
You mean cheaply made and in need of extensive modifications to shoot well?
:ymdevil:

I know it will work as a starter rifle but when I consider swapping the barrel out to someting like 7mm-08 a new Savage or Ruger starts to look like a bargin.

Still pondering, I need to get pass the P.E. exam and setup my new reloading press. I figure the only way I will be able to shoot HP silhouette is to reload.

Plenty of time to figure it out but I do like the discussion threads.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

DavidABQ wrote:I know it will work as a starter rifle but when I consider swapping the barrel out to someting like 7mm-08 a new Savage or Ruger starts to look like a bargin.
PTG has a pretty good deal on trued 700 receivers pre-fit with one of their bolts. Yes, you still need to source a pile of parts and have a gunsmith that will assemble it for you, but it's a better deal than buying a whole rifle for just the one piece.

It is more expensive than an out-of-the-box shooters like Tikka or Savage, but it's the least expensive foundation I know for a custom rifle. And, while I would really like to have a Defiance or Stiller action, but aside from pride of ownership they're wasted on someone at my skill level.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I would LOVE a custom rifle built on a custom action but considering my resources and skills I would be better off spending the money on ammo and practice a whole lot more.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Put a good stock on the 700, re-barrel it to either 7-08 or 260 and have the action 'trued'. should cost around $700. The 7-08 brass can be made bu necking down 308 brass and the 260 brass is easily made by necking up 243 brass. That 308 with the factory plastic stock will punish you for 40 rounds. Start by just putting a good stock on and then sneak the other changes when your wife isn't looking.
dan222
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dan222 »

i think we are all missing the point here. why would anyone want to quite the nra? you still want to have your gun rights, so who is going to fight for you? shooting is about meeting great people, and maybe a challenge or two. just shoot your home range, shoot well.......dan
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

You HAVE a home range? How lucky you are. Not a single silhouette range in my state. Not one.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote:Put a good stock on the 700, re-barrel it to either 7-08 or 260 and have the action 'trued'. should cost around $700. The 7-08 brass can be made bu necking down 308 brass and the 260 brass is easily made by necking up 243 brass. That 308 with the factory plastic stock will punish you for 40 rounds. Start by just putting a good stock on and then sneak the other changes when your wife isn't looking.

Hmmm, necked down .308 brass to create 7mm-08? That seems to make a caliber decision easy. I am hoping to find a nice wood Remington SA take off stock but are hard to find and more expensive than I am willing to pay. Maybe a walnut stock from Boyd's?

Right now I need to setup and learn how to reload. Then I need to spend some time at the gun club. \m/

At some point this summer I need to go shoot a white buffalo at the Whittington Center too. **==
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

glen ring wrote:what would happen if the NRA flip flopped the CLA nationals.
I think it'd be a good idea for someone to host a CLA regional at the Whittington Center on years that the nationals aren't there (on a date far away from the nationals in PA). It's a great facility and I'm sure there would be good attendance from Texas, NM, Ariz., CA, CO, etc. it would give people in that region that normally go to nationals a match to attend at the Whittington Center every year. Then Glenn and everyone in the western part of the United States wouldn't have to quit shooting!

Dustin
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

dustinflint wrote:
glen ring wrote:what would happen if the NRA flip flopped the CLA nationals.
I think it'd be a good idea for someone to host a CLA regional at the Whittington Center on years that the nationals aren't there (on a date far away from the nationals in PA). It's a great facility and I'm sure there would be good attendance from Texas, NM, Ariz., CA, CO, etc. it would give people in that region that normally go to nationals a match to attend at the Whittington Center every year. Then Glenn and everyone in the western part of the United States wouldn't have to quit shooting!

Dustin
:-bd

Dustin for President of the NRA!