Reloading question.

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Reloading question.

Post by jask »

"Reloading is going to be a more involved and complex project than I originally conceived."

Reloading is not that complex unless you strive to be extremely accurate. A few things make it a lot easier.

Use one load for everything.
Use Lapua brass. ( that almost eliminates banana shaped brass)
Use a good method of load workup.
Always use the same procedures every time for preparing brass.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Don't overthink it David. All said to this point is well and good but the difference in new Lapua brass and mixed unsorted, while incredibly important in bench-rest, is pretty much a moot point shooting offhand at 500 meters.... If you want to indulge your inner compulsive obsessive reloading can be just the ticket, but don't forget you are loading ammo to shoot it at (relatively speaking) huge chucks of metal - not trying to make single holes in paper......

Don't fret about it..... Load up and shoot. :D

KISS
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

I think you will find that you can load ammo that is very accurate easily---308's are pretty forgiving it seems. What Merlin brought up in his last post is important---not as important as safety, but loading and practicing will probably get you further than tinkering--although I think Jask's procedure is superior to my tinkering for sure and will probably save time and money. A 2 MOA load would hit all the targets and I'm thinking you will have no trouble besting that by at least half----I like reloading---almost as much as shooting---and my tinkering with loads takes up a lot of time when I could be practicing---something to think about---which is more important?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Dave since your shooting .308 and new to reloading I would just use one bullet for all animals to start. 150 or 155 gr. Match bullet Would be my choice. Work up a load thats got good accuracy before try new loads with different bullets. Trying to work up even one can be a weeks work with all the powder testing.
Merlin is correct we're shooting off hand not bench rest. Don't over think it.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Also keep good records of your load development and buy a chronograph. I have a pro crono its only $100 and works fine and a camera stand at wally world for $25 and your on your way. Don't guess at velocity. Books only show what they got not what you will.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Post by topclass »

I agree that re-loading can be complicated, but seeing the results of different processes/reloading discipline (elimination of variables) gives purpose to range time. I find it challenging and interesting as it appeals to my obsessive/compulsive side.
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

"while incredibly important in bench-rest, is pretty much a moot point shooting offhand at 500 meters"

I have heard people make that statement before and it is total BS. If that was the case, why not select the worse load possible because "you aren't going to hit it anyway.
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

When I was running HP matches, a new guy would show up once in a while, enthusiastic to try the game. He would shoot 5 or less and never to be seen again. The days were gone when someone could get a rifle from the closet and take it silhouette shooting. Other shooters were taking down 30 or more and the new guys felt the gap was just too much. Most of the rifles would not hit a barn door and it was only luck in hitting any animals at all. I fixed up a rifle, bedded, scoped, sighted in with accurate ammo that any new shooter could use. I kept that program running until the board decided they wanted to make more money to open the range to the public on our days. Accuracy is important, there is no doubt about it.
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

"I find it challenging and interesting as it appeals to my obsessive/compulsive side."

Top class, I totally agree and found it a challenge to create the best ammo I could. It has been almost 12 years since I even shot one of my HP rifles since I moved to a smaller house with no garage and lost my reloading area. It just became too hard to get everything out for loading. I had saved all of my test targets. I had dozens and it was enlightening to see in black and white what improvements could do. Just to demonstrate the advantages of indexing, I fired 4 rounds each at 4 crosses on a target back rotating the index 90 degrees after each 4. The groups rotated about the axis of the cross forming 4 separate groups but when combined would have more than doubled the size of each group. IMO, indexing case wall thickness was my most advantageous aspect of loading.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Let me preface my statement with this. I am not , nor have I ever been a national champion in either Silhouette or Benchrest competition. My 7-08 (not a 308 but pretty close...) ammo with basic prep will shoot ~.75.

I have only had 5 or 6 .308 rifles but all would shoot less than 1 MOA with just about every factory ammo I tried. So, to me, rotating the brass, checking volumes and turning necks to get that last little bit is not worth the effort and therefore the juice is definitely not worth the squeeze. I have about a complete animal wobble at all distances and trying to make my 4"-5" rifle into a 2.5" rifle at 550 yards with the thought it will advance me a class is fantasy.

If its your nature to be totally precise in your actions and this carries into your reloading. Weigh, sort, anneal, measure and turn - Go forth and have fun.

On the other hand, with just basic prep - If you practice a safe and reasonable reloading routine you will produce good quality, accurate ammunition that is totally adequate to win matches and, more importantly to me, have fun in your shooting.

This is my opinion, your results may vary - your NEEDS may vary. Just my .02. Yada Yada Yada :-bd
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
twidpa
B Poster
B Poster

Post by twidpa »

Don't get discouraged by all the finer points of the reloading gurus. Everything they said is true but some of it is not necessary for your intent. You can do very well by getting a published load in a reloading manual like the Lymans. Read the book (only the reloading part not all the loads for all the calibers) and make a few rounds for testing. If you have a mentor to help along the way that is a good thing. Then after you get into it you can spend fewer dollars and shoot more! This helps make you a better marksman. Then the better marksman will research and develop better ways and means to get even better. Then you too can become a finer point reloading guru.
T
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Wow, a lot of information here to ponder. I have a Nosler reloading book and a book called the ABCs of Reloading. I am reading those while I pick up some more equipment.

I will find a nice Nosler match bullet around 150-155 grains like suggested and see if there is a load using H4895 or 4064 to start with.

Thank you gentlemen; I still need to pick up some stuff but I have a better idea of what I need.
Brd_Hntr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Brd_Hntr »

Why not try a 125 grain Sierra Match King and 42 grains of H4895. This is a starting load, so recoil should be very reasonable. I shot these from my 30-06 at club matches and found they worked well.

You will also want a 168 or 175 grain load for the rams. There are very well characterized 168 grain Sierra Match King loads, so this shouldn't be tough. You need a load data book. I always liked the Hornady book, but I have several and can cross check the data in a couple of sources to make sure it looks reasonable.

If you are new to reloading, why not have a experienced local person sit with you and help you get started?

As you gain experience you can complicate the reloading process to your own satisfaction. Then you can debate the merits of virgin vs once fired brass.

Good Luck!
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

Many years ago, I was reading an interview of a member of the US Army shooting team. It was interesting to note that they handloaded all their ammo but, and a BIG BUT, they always used virgin brass. Doesn't that tell you something about the need for indexing?
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Reloading is just like everything else; first you crawl, then you walk, and then you run. This is great information, and these folks really are gurus, but your most important task right now is to just start doing it.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis