6.5 Creedmoor Shooters

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
DownEast John
B Poster
B Poster

6.5 Creedmoor Shooters

Post by DownEast John »

Hi All, Just got my early B-day presant today, a Savage Axis II, w/ a 22" bull barrel. 8.5 lb w/ scope.
I do not get much opportunity to shoot modern HP, I got it to play with, shoot varmits and if I get a chance, use it for Hunter class.
Got brass and large ass. of bullets coming, but only powder on hand is RL10X, 4895 and 4831.
I'm thinking I'll look for some Varget and 4350. Is there any other magic, super- doper powder I need, something not position senceitive, light and fluffy that will fillthe case. Send your best loads please, cause I'm bad when things are good, I need all the help I can get :o3
Thanks in advance, John
tulsatime
B Poster
B Poster

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor Shooters

Post by tulsatime »

I have a RAP 6.5 Creedmoor with a 22" barrel. I reload with 42 g of RL 17 and 140g SST bullets. My issue was when competing in AR we all took some crony readings and my 22" barrel was putting those out at 2750 fps. it was barking louder than any other gun out there on the line. I'm looking at 39 g of RL17 now to get down to 2550 fps. Still enough energy for rams.

Good luck on your loads.

I've also used H4350, Varget, and looking at H4895 for fun later. The RL17 works best for me.
Tulsatime
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Reloader 17 with 100 gr. Nosler 100 gr. ballistic tips works well. Actually from ~ 90 grs. up RL 17 is hard to beat. Consistent and accurate in most loadings. Varget is another good choice.

Just my .02. YMMV yada yada yada.... ;)
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
DownEast John
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DownEast John »

Thanks Guys, Merlin where do you shoot HP, Mexia, NB or???
In case you have not figured it out by my nick name, I'm the winter Texan from Corpus you talked to at the state lever match.
Has any-one tried the new RL16, supposed to be same as 17 but not temp sen. and cleaner???
What fills the case more, Varget or RL17??? Thanks again, John :o3
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

John ... The Creedmore was a brief stop in the road for me in an AR platform. I still (and will always) have a Triangle Shooting Sports AR in .223 for playing and an AR 10 - .308 for a heavy gas gun. I dumped the Creedmore and like calibers and went mainstream. For Me - To little juice for the squeeze with the exotic stuff.

For silhouette I like to knock them down if I hit them so..... 7-08 with 120 s for C, P & T and 162 AMax for Rams.

As I currently live in the Houston area NB or Coolidge/Mexia is about the same drive. Haven't shot HP in a while as I am to lazy to do it.... Both are nice places to shoot and in Coolidge I can also practice my cattle roundup and moving skills a couple of times every time we shoot! :D
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer