Lens Tints for scope use

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
jmdavis45
B Poster
B Poster

Lens Tints for scope use

Post by jmdavis45 »

Does anyone have any experience with tinted glasses for use with the scoped rifle. I am looking for something that will help the dot to stand out for smallbore and Service/Match rifle.

My thinking is that there are generations of silhouette shooters out there who may have experimented with tinted lenses and I should use that information at least as a starting point. I have a color kit on hand from "Custom Sight Picture" but I have yet to be able to go to the range with it.

So, if you have experimented or regularly wear tinted lenses for scope shooting, what do you find works best for you?

Mike Davis
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Lens Tints for scope use

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Jim, Decot recommended a bronze/brown for the black on buff targets used in service rifle. I bought one---only one side for my right eye and I like it---for iron sights on a bright, sunny day. I haven't bought one for an overcast day but they recommended a different color---I can't remember which. I did have my sight RX put in the top part of the lens and my reading RX in the bottom so I can see to adjust the sights and write in my log book. Works well.
I'm still shooting irons for Service Rifle---so no experience with the scope and filters.

Jon
Cody, Wy
jmdavis45
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jmdavis45 »

Thanks,

Since silhouette targets can be black white or orange and people have shot them for years with scopes and dot type reticles, I'm hoping that someone has some experience. For SR Irons, I generally used clear or polarized grey lenses. It may be that bronze or flesh is the answer. But purple really cuts glare. Blue blockers may help too.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I had the Lepold lens for a couple years and finally sold them. They blocked too much light to suit me. I think the more light you let through the scope the better you can see. That includes not using a lens hood. I am sure others have a different opinion.