Stainless Steel barrel care and maintenance

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Stainless Steel barrel care and maintenance

Post by topclass »

Am in the "10-day cooling off period" waiting to acquire my first stainless steel barreled rifle. Anything unique or different I should do for its care and maintenance?
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Stainless Steel barrel care and maintenance

Post by OldRanger »

Yeah they are pretty particular. They need constant shooting or they will rot away.

Wow, a cooling off period for a long gun? You must be in California.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Post by topclass »

Unfortunately that is where I am...between the political and environmental climates, I question the wisdom of letting my wife talk me into moving from Washington to be close to grandkids. It was so much easier to ship her off on Southwest for a few days of grandbaby time...
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Now the wifey can't get jealous when you hug your guns! :-bd =))
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Post by topclass »

Good point. I have a tolerant wife that is happy for me to have a hobby that keeps me busy. She let's me wash brass from my wet rotary tumbler in the kitchen sink, spend evenings at the reloading bench, ... things like that. I may just keep her!
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

I always use the 20 break in method. Shoot one, clean x5, shoot 2, clean x2, shoot 3, clean x2, shoot 5, clean done, don't know if it actually helps break in a barrel or not but every barrel that I've done it on, cleaned up nice after that. By the way, that Tikka that you sold really shoots! Thanks.
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I am with you on that 'break-in' for a new barrel JB. Once it is broke -in you can 'over clean' the thing. That's not good. Clean the thin when you see the group opening up but don't scrub it to death and always use a bore guide..
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Post by topclass »

glad you are enjoying the Tikka, Jim!
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I use the 'sweets' method of break in. Push a couple patches through before shooting to clean out any machining debris. Then shoot 1 clean out the debris followed by sweets and check for blue (copper fouling) if its blue continue sweets until it stops bluing then neutralize the sweets dry and fire 1 more repeat the clean and sweets. If no blue then shoot 2-3 clean and sweet, if blue sweet until blue is gone neutralize repeat 2-3 until no blue. Then 5 shots, clean sweet etc until no blue. With a good barrel this should do it....if not ...well continue until there's no blue after 5 shots.....If there's no blue check after 10 shots. That should do it even in a new factory barrel. I have had Shilen burnish after 3 shots, Pac-Nors after 5 or so, ditto for Hart and Kriegers always make sure your chamber remains dry. I have found that a 50-50 mix of marine oil and lighter fluid after clean helps eliminate copper fouling. I check with sweets after 100 or so. sweets removes copper fouling but you must neutralize it via solvent or the 'mix'. Do not use a bronze brush with sweets...for obvious reasons (it will impart copper...duh....it dissolves the brush). Use gloves when handling all solvents...solvents penetrate metal and your skin :-o