Sako 75 III

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Sako 75 III

Post by Ken Green »

I thought I had my Sako 75 III in 7mm-08 ready to go. I pulled it out last weekend for a H.P. swinger match. The rounds were hitting way to the left at 300 yards. I managed to hit a very small number of the swingers. I could not understand way. I know that the scope has not been bumped. After the match, we took the Leupold FX3 25X scope off and looked at the rings. The front dove tail rail is cut with a taper that is narrow in the back and gets bigger toward the front end. I did not realize that the rings did not have the tapered dove tail made into it and they were not mounted square on the front dove tail. This caused the scope to be totally off. I think I have Sako rings on the rifle. This is the set of rings that came with the rifle when I bought it from another shooter. The front ring was remounted and I hope the front ring was put back on the front dovetail square.

Is there anyone else that has dealt with this before?

What suggestions would you have for correcting this, to make sure the rings are mounted straight on the dove tails?

Can a custom front base be made with a tapered dove tail to match the tapered front rail?

What about drilling and tapping the front and back dove tails and mounting a base with a picitanny rail so I can used the Weaver Grand slam windage adjustable rings?

Thanks for your help with this. Ken
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Sako 75 III

Post by Joaquin B »

Hi, Ken.

I just ordered the following from Optics Planet:

Burris dovetail SAKO steel scope bases (set of front and rear)
Burris Signature Z Rings (Medium). I am also using the +20 MOA inserts

These are going into my Sako L461 in .223 Remington with a Lupold 12X Target scope.

My Sako AII switch-barrel rifle (6.5mm Lapua / ,243 Win. / .308 Win.) is fitted with Weaver aluminum dovetail scope bases and Burris Signature Z rings, with the +20 MOA inserts. Scope is a Bushnell 4200 Elite 4-16X.

If you opt to pursue this route, make sure to tap the dovetail bases past snug onto the action, using a wooden or hard plastic dowell and a light hammer.

I hope this helps. B-)
Joaquin B
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Sako 75 III

Post by Ken Green »

Joaquin B: I bought a set of the Burris dove tail extreme Sako bases at a local gun store. I did not realize that the rear dove tail was tapered also until I took the rings off and looked at the Burris bases out of the package. I cleaned the rifle dovetails and the Burris bases with alcohol prior to mounting.

I mixed up some 5 minute epoxy and applied it to the bottom of the burris bases and the top of the Sako dovetail bases. After sliding the Burris bases on, I then used a brass hammer and a piece of wood to drive the Burris bases forward until they stopped and would not go forward anymore.

I then used the Blue Loctite on the set screws and tightened them down tight. I will be using Weaver Grand slam windage adjustabe rings. I know I will be able to get the scope pretty close to being centered, before I have to use the windage in the scope.