Post by Ken Green »

Is the 6BR enough for rams?
What about barrel life ? Ken
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 6 BR

Post by OldRanger »

Cathy Winstead-Severin Uses a 6BR and won nationals, so I'd say it was adequate to the job ;)
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

OldRanger wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:25 am Cathy Winstead-Severin Uses a 6BR and won nationals, so I'd say it was adequate to the job ;)
I thought she was using a 6x47?
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Ken, if you lack the skills to surgically place a light weight bullet where it will work on rams...stick to your 7-08. :wink: Cathy lost some rams in Missoula, Ridgway and maybe Canada with hits some of us would be thrilled with. Barrel life with a 6 BR would be long if a SS barrel.

I lost two in a row rams yesterday with near center hits. I was using a practice M700 in 7-08, 150 SMK 40.0 grs. I 4064. They should of went down, the others did!! 14 hit of 20.

She went to a BR recently.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I plan on staying with the 7mm-08. I am also playing with my .243 winchester rifle also.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I do believe you are right Bob. A Barns 108 on the rams I do believe and she shoots them slow, under 2600 I think. She claims she takes down over 80% of her hits on rams. It ain't how hard you hit them, it's how long your bullet keeps pushing on the steel.
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

"She claims she takes down over 80% of her hits on rams."

A 6BR just isn't going to do well for an average shooter. For her claim of 80%, it would be pretty obvious that she can hold well enough to not break any where close to a dead zone for rams. She probably tries to break in the upper half or butt. She accepts those losses to get the milder recoil on the closer targets. Most of us shooting rams with a 6BR would lose closer to half of them or more. Any headwind would be a killer.
GabbyJs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by GabbyJs »

A local club has a "bench rest" position for new shooters to try silhouette and experience the fun of watching targets fall. Last Sept., I tried my 6BR to test it against the rams. I hit all 10 rams in the "heart/lung) area, to see if they would fall. I used the 115 DTAC at about 2700 fps, and all fell. The same targets are occasionally lost with all other popular calibers. I have at least an 80% success rate with the 6BR.
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

The 6BR seems to be at the mercy of the range conditions and how the target setters set the targets... I guess that's true for all calibers but more so with the 6BR. Personally, that is too many variables out of my control for me to want to shoot it. I know a lot of Canadians shoot it as well as some Americans, but I was shooting with Cathy at the Canadian Nationals last week and watched her ring some PIGS with her BR. That being said, she did also knock over 10 rams. I have shot the BR and it definitely is low recoiling and accurate, but for now I'll stick with my .260 bobcat.
Ferret Master
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Ferret Master »

I watched Kathy shoot rams at Ridgway during nationals. She is very precise in shot placement but the most important thing at Ridgway would be the amount of wind behind the Rams. When Ram check was done to check on set the wind was 8 mph coming directly behind rams. Some folks just laugh at me when I bring up the role of wind in holding up Rams but they do so at there own peril. A ram makes a very good sail. I made a fixture back in 2001 to test the push of bullets on rams at different velocities, that's where the 2550 sweet spot data came from. I guess I need to one to test push of wind on rams. I already have a big box fan and a thin ram.
Last year I took my Savage bench rest gun in 6BR up to Ridgway and shot it off the bench with it's favorite bullet the 105 Amax. I'm not saying that the 105 Amax is the perfect Ram bullet just that that rifle shoots it amazingly well. The velocity was 2935 with the 30" barrel. In no wind conditions the ram went down no matter where I hit it. By the time the wind got up to 11mph it took a hit in the face, horns or high in the butt to do the deed.
I know this is very week as far as science goes but is a very good observation. I shot almost 100 rds through out the day at the rams. I was also shooting at the long range animals while waiting for a wind change.
The problem I have with my 6BR is that it's throating is optimized for the longer bullets and does not do so well with lighter bullets. I guess one could shoot everything with the 105's.
I know I say this at my own peril but the 6mm bullets seem to need a higher speed than larger diameter bullets to get reliable knock down. Back when I was testing using my fixture for the 243 I had to get bullets going above 2850 to get reliable energy for knockdown where as larger diameter bullets worked well at 2550. Back then the 105 Sierra hunting bullet seemed to work the best.
I would love to know how long a barrel you would need to get close to 2900 out of the 6BR with 105-107 class bullets.
Now that I have jabbed a stick in the hornets nest I'll go eat lunch.
Ferret Master :)
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Thanks for the informative post, Eric. The pigs weigh in at 31 pounds. I have witnessed our top shooter, DB, ring a pig or two with his .260 and 120 SMK's if I remember. One was centered in the butt.

Did we meet in Ridgway, Ferrett Master?
Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ferret Master
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Ferret Master »

No I don't believe we met at Ridgway. I set next to the announcers booth most of the time during the matches, Red vest and tall range chair. Shot with Fred, Wally and Don. We shot on banks 3, 5 and 9.
My son and I both have rung pigs with center hits using 6.5 mm 107 MK. I figure some jackets are just flawed.
Ferret Master