6BR vs .243 Winchester

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

6BR vs .243 Winchester

Post by Ken Green »

If you were going to build a HP silhouette rifle and you could ONLY CHOOSE either the 6BR or the .243 Winchester, which one would you choose and why? Thanks Ken
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: 6BR vs .243 Winchester

Post by Another Dang 9 »

.243 Win. Because wally world always has a box for less than $20.00
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

negative comment removed with apologies. :)
Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

You are correct Bob. He should go with a 6.5 something. =))
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

You are right Bob. He should go with a 6.5 something.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I already have a 7mm-08 and a .243 Winchester, for silhouette. I am not planning on building one. If I wanted a 6BR, I could just rebarrel my Mossberg .243 Winchester

With Cathy using the 6BR to win the two national matches, I know some shooters will think about building one in 6BR.
Plus there might be a couple of shooters that are not able to handle the recoil due to a shoulder injury or either they just don't like recoil.

I was curious as to which of these two rifles (6br or .243) would be better for silhouette. I know the 7mm-08 Is the rifle for silhouette
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I have only participated in one HP silhouette match. Last year's nationals at Raton New Mexico. I bought a 7-08 and quickly found it was too much gun for me for that sport. If the nationals are in Raton for 2018 I will shoot my second HP silhouette match..with a .243 or 6BR. I have hunted and shot all my life and I am not a small man but recoil is detrimental to my accurate shooting. I talked to the Marsh guys from Canada and they shoot a 6br. I think David Tubb shot a 6mm something when he competed and the long range guys in western Oklahoma swear by the 6mm somethings.. The 7-08 is a fine hunting cartridge and looked very good on paper. Shooting 20 or so shots from the bench proved no problem. Shooting 240 rounds beat me up.

I like the idea of being able to go to wally world and buy ammo if need be. I had a fine hunting rifle in .243 years ago and could sit on a prairie dog town all day with it. I made some great hits with it on long range coyotes. I think it's time to get back to a good .243. Yep..I may ring a few rams ...but I'd rather be hitting and ringing than jerking and missing.
Just Be Nice **==
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

After I installed a really soft shotgun pad on my 7-08, I could fire that thing all day long without a problem.

Pachmayr T660 was fantastic but I see they have discontinued it. Does anyone know what they have that is equally soft?
GabbyJs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by GabbyJs »

It's a shame that IMR SR 4759 powder is no longer available. Chicken, Pig, and Turkey loads for cartridges such as .308, 7-08, and .243 can easily be counted on to knock down these targets. Loads closer to "full house" can be used for rams. Good answer to those that mind recoil and muzzle blast.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Glen, I knew you would be back for more HP. Nobody can shoot just one. :D Mr.Tubb and that famous Georgia guy shot .243's at redline pressure speeds. Barrels were done in half the expected life span. Bullets of the day were 105's-107s' I think. A couple of 39's were fired with this combination. About that time the 115 DTAC appeared. Still made today. Some CA friends shoot them at max speed in a hot rodded .22-250 case, 6mm X something ? I have seen their rams get hit with a lightning bolt impact and fall most of the time. There are trade offs for this performance. Recoil for one. A standard .243 can be loaded to exceed this wild cats speed.

Go ahead and order up a pair of 6 BR'S...Jeane will need one, too. 8) Lets plan on formally meeting next year at Raton.
Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Hey guys: I think I maybe should have worded the first post differently. My intent was to compare the 6BR to the .243 Winchester. I really did not want to bring any other calibers into the discussion. Thus the question is the 6BR better than the .243 Winchester for silhouette or is the .243 Winchester better than the 6BR for silhouette.

I know they use the same bullet. The 6BR case is shorter and it has a smaller case capacity. By using less powder, you have less felt recoil.

So the original question: is the 6BR better than the .243 Winchester for silhouette or is the .243 Winchester better than the 6BR for silhouette.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

I'll have something to report on a 6mm BR probably next year. I've been having big time shoulder problems and already have a 6mm BR build in the works on a Tikka T3 platform.
I went to the surgeon yesterday, and the MRI results showed my shoulder is as he said, "a mess". Bone spurs, torn tendons, and one of my bicep tendons is completely detached. Surgery most likely will be next month.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Bob I REALLY liked HP silhouette. My first score was only about 8 and I think my high was only about 17...but I REALLY liked it. We have no place to shoot near us. The close match is an 8 hour drive so the nationals are the only match we get to shoot because we will already be in Raton.

I have been looking at the Ruger Predator rifles in 243 or 6mm creedmore . I can buy two and scope both pretty cheaply. We have both started shooting BPCR and that's great fun..but Jeanne says she'd rather stand on her hind legs and shoot a match as opposed to laying down like the BPCR guys do.

If you see a some grey hairs laughing and cutting up it's probably us. Maybe we can have a meal at the restaurant at the Whittington center.
Just Be Nice **==