When working up a load....

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

When working up a load....

Post by DavidABQ »

If I am trying to find and accurate load I started with official reloading date from a reputable maufactuer. I start at the low end and work my way up, but in what increments?

I just several loading for my .308 using 175 grain RDF bullets from Nosler. I used 0.5 grain increments.

Is that too great of an increment? Do you guys and gals out there do it at every 0.1 grain? Something in between 0.2 and 0.5 grains?

I stopped 0.5 grains short of the published maximum load. Is it alright to go all the way to the published maximum load without concerns?

I do not have a mentor, I am learning as I go from books, RCBS videos and people answering my questions.

Thank you very much everyone for being patient with me,

Question: Has anyone tried reloading the .308 with old school black powder? I wonder how that would turn out?
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Re: When working up a load....

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

David, for a 308 I go in 3/10ths to .5 grains depending on the powder----smaller increments for faster powder, larger increments for slower powder.

Google or read about "ladder testing"---it may save you time and money.

FWIW, I just read an old book about 243 and 6mm reloading and the guy who ran the loads with pressure equipment said that rarely did he see case head expansion until pressures were over 60,000 psi, and hard bolt lift varied per rifle but was generally in excess of 70,000 psi and stiff extraction and stuck cases were generally seen starting around 80,000 psi to over 100,000 psi----so what all this says, is that by the time you see these type of signs you may already be way over SAMMI recommended max pressure. There is a quote the guy made about reloading---I'll have to remember and copy it and post it---it probably still holds true today.

When I work toward max loads, I use a chronograph along with all the other variables---like case head expansion, primers, extraction.....I'm a conservative reloader, but if I'm getting velocities that are pushing the high end of published velocities from several sources, I stop, even if the load is below max---take into consideration barrel length and study what is happening but I would take it slow, gain experience and use your own good judgement. I also use Quickload a lot. I generally settle for a load that shoots nice groups even if it's slow.

Also, some barrels/rifles run faster or slower when compared to another barrel/rifle shooting the same cartridge---so there are definitely mysteries.

I buy a lot of the military pull down (because it's inexpensive) and each time I buy a new lot, I have to retest---plus there is very little published data for the powder---I've used the above method with caution now for a long time with no issues.

I think by your questions, you are thinking it through---it would be good to find someone near you who shoots that is a reloader to talk to. But be cautious, as some people approach reloading in a willy-nilly way...HA!---so in the end use your own good judgement as you have to live with the results.

Consult several sources.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

David. Keep a log book of everything you load. They make preprinted record sheets. Midway sells them. Its a good way to keep records of what works and what doesn't.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:39 am David. Keep a log book of everything you load. They make preprinted record sheets. Midway sells them. Its a good way to keep records of what works and what doesn't.
I do have a notebook and so far I have kept notes and procedural steps listed in it.

I will also use it to record load information. Thank you.
Hawkeye7br
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hawkeye7br »

I often use .5 grain increments for load development. I also will load and shoot my most accurate (to date) reload when testing others, so I have a standard to compare to on any given day.

Stay away from black powder in your 308. If manufacturers wanted you to shoot it, it would be in their reloading manuals.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I shot my test loads using Nosler RDF bullets and Varget powder in 0.5 grain increments from 40.0 up to 43.0 and I was not impressed. I shot 5 of my previous reload of Nosler BT with Varget at 44,0 grains and it shot a 1.1 inch group.

BTW: to take wind out of the equation I shot all of the groups in the tunnel at the gun club I belong to.

I think I will try the Hornady ELD bullets I have with the Varget powder and pick up some IMR 4895 to try in both the RDF and ELD bullets.

I need to circle back the Nosler BT bullets with other powder charges to see how it works.

I figure if none of those work well then I will get some Berger or Sierra bullets and see what that gets me.

I am keeping track of all of this in a spreadsheet from Apple.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Dave I like keeping a paper record as I can take it to the range when I do my shooting and can record it as im shooting. I'm also an old fart with no computer skills.
NRA Endowment Member
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Dave this is What my log sheets look like. If you want I can mail some to you that you can Xerox. Just PM me with your address.
0321191232.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Endowment Member