6BR loading tips

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Re: 6BR loading tips

Post by Emietenkorte »

MTelkhunter wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:51 am Thanks Erich. I do have a few pounds of VV 140 so will do a little experimenting.
No problem! I have a 26" Barrel and I am getting 2800 FPS with the 95gr. Berger, I could probably slow it down but it shoots like a laser and I don't mind the extra "recoil" =)) that velocity brings. The 115gr. Berger is moving at 2700 FPS, does a pretty good job with rams so far....
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Why are you guys running your loads so hot? Does the cartridge require it? Are you using the longer Norma chamber?

What would you recommend for a milder load? If it matters, I hit the lands at 2.270 with 90 grain bergers. I have tried 28 and 28.5 grains of Varget for short animals and 26 grains with the 107 sierra for Rams. I don't remember the COAL of the 107s.

Appreciate your wisdom.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

SqHunter wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:47 am Why are you guys running your loads so hot?
I would think that with the kinetic energy equation; KE=0.5(Mass)(Velocity^2) that you would with to optimize the velocity for my kinetic energy when the bullet strikes the target. Even with the momentum equation; P=(Mass)(Velocity) you would want to maximize the velocity to increase the momentum transfer from the bullet to the target.

Maybe I am wrong? Hopefully someone much smarter than me will chime it.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

I think there might be a point of diminishing returns in regards to higher velocities. At some point the bullet will explode upon impact rather than transferring the energy into the target? No?
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Doodaddy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:16 pm I think there might be a point of diminishing returns in regards to higher velocities. At some point the bullet will explode upon impact rather than transferring the energy into the target? No?
I agree but where is that line? Is it above safe maximum loads or a somewhat lower velocity? I was just theorizing why a shooter would want to run higher velocity’s for silhouette.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

DavidABQ wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:13 pm
Doodaddy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:16 pm I think there might be a point of diminishing returns in regards to higher velocities. At some point the bullet will explode upon impact rather than transferring the energy into the target? No?
I agree but where is that line? Is it above safe maximum loads or a somewhat lower velocity? I was just theorizing why a shooter would want to run higher velocity’s for silhouette.
I think the line is probably very dependent on the specific bullet, but I don't think it would be far fetched to think it would be below max velocity considering most of these bullets weren't designed to be slammed against steel at those speeds.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

For me, that's the load that was most accurate. Every chicken, pig, and turkey that I have hit has gone down. Berger bullets hold together really well on the steel so I just run it. I try not to overcomplicate things... accuracy and effectiveness on target works for me.

Another thing, I travel up North to the Bull River Shooting Range up in Cranbrook, British Columbia whenever I can and they have some heavy pigs, I've seen slower 6BR rounds ring them.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Does anyone have access to a published load for the 90 grain bergers? The Sierra loads I have on hand list 29 as max for the 107, but it does not list a 90. I have tried to extrapolate from some published loads for the 85 grain sierra, but apparently there are two different chamber lengths in use. For what it is worth, the man who built my rifle said he got pressure signs at 29 grains. I think he was pushing the bullet hard into the lands though if that makes difference.
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

SqHunter wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:06 pm Does anyone have access to a published load for the 90 grain bergers? The Sierra loads I have on hand list 29 as max for the 107, but it does not list a 90. I have tried to extrapolate from some published loads for the 85 grain sierra, but apparently there are two different chamber lengths in use. For what it is worth, the man who built my rifle said he got pressure signs at 29 grains. I think he was pushing the bullet hard into the lands though if that makes difference.

Vihtavuori has a 90gr. Lapua Scenar listed in their reloading data using N140 which is very similar to Varget... but better. Not exactly what you were asking for but it may be a place to start.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-da ... rtridge=63
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Emietenkorte wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:02 am
SqHunter wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:06 pm Does anyone have access to a published load for the 90 grain bergers? The Sierra loads I have on hand list 29 as max for the 107, but it does not list a 90. I have tried to extrapolate from some published loads for the 85 grain sierra, but apparently there are two different chamber lengths in use. For what it is worth, the man who built my rifle said he got pressure signs at 29 grains. I think he was pushing the bullet hard into the lands though if that makes difference.

Vihtavuori has a 90gr. Lapua Scenar listed in their reloading data using N140 which is very similar to Varget... but better. Not exactly what you were asking for but it may be a place to start.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-da ... rtridge=63
Thank you. I wonder if my chamber being a little shorter than the norma is why I get pressure signs at 29 grains while everyone else seems to be able to run 30 or more?
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

A shorter chamber can definitely limit your case capacity. Also, what kind of pressure signs are you seeing? With a factory action, the 6BR is prone to flowing its primers into the firing pin hole, especially to get up to 2800fps and beyond. Many shooters with factory actions get their firing pin hole bushed, to tighten up the tolerances there. If you have a custom action this shouldn't be a problem.

As a point of reference, I'm running a Savage action with a Criterion barrel in 6BR. With H4895, I found a really good accuracy node around 2600fps, and around 2700 the primers are wanting to flow back into the firing pin hole. So I stay at 2600. This is for an any/any sling rifle.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

mychippy wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:15 am A shorter chamber can definitely limit your case capacity. Also, what kind of pressure signs are you seeing? With a factory action, the 6BR is prone to flowing its primers into the firing pin hole, especially to get up to 2800fps and beyond. Many shooters with factory actions get their firing pin hole bushed, to tighten up the tolerances there. If you have a custom action this shouldn't be a problem.

As a point of reference, I'm running a Savage action with a Criterion barrel in 6BR. With H4895, I found a really good accuracy node around 2600fps, and around 2700 the primers are wanting to flow back into the firing pin hole. So I stay at 2600. This is for an any/any sling rifle.
Thanks for the info. Wish I had a chrony to compare our results.

The bolt is hard to lift sometimes and it does not extract smoothly at others. That was with 28.5 of varget and 90 grain bergers. I have some 28 grain loads to try ,but it is a two hour drive to get to anywhere I can shoot a centerfire so working up a load has proven to be a real pain in the butt :x
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

SqHunter wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:24 am Thanks for the info. Wish I had a chrony to compare our results.

The bolt is hard to lift sometimes and it does not extract smoothly at others. That was with 28.5 of varget and 90 grain bergers. I have some 28 grain loads to try ,but it is a two hour drive to get to anywhere I can shoot a centerfire so working up a load has proven to be a real pain in the butt :x
Are you full-length sizing your brass? If not, you should be. Check out the video here about clickers:
https://www.wheeleraccuracy.com/videos

Also watch the one about finding your lands. This will let you discover if you are pushing the bullet into the case farther than it needs to be, or if you have the bullet out too far and it's wedged into the barrel. Both conditions can cause excess pressure.