6mm or 6.5mm?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: 6mm or 6.5mm?

Post by RBriscoe »

Hi Dennis,

Out of Curiosity, what sort of velocities are you getting out of your Grendel?

Thanks,

Rick
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

around 2,300 - 2,400 fps out of a 26" barrel, this is a guess based on my clicks up on my scope.

I use 107/108's for the first 3 and a 130gr Norma Golden for the rams and 8208 XBR powder, same charge for all, because I'm lazy.

I guess I should measure it, and you have given me the incentive to do it.

I'll report back soon, but I would be surprised if the above numbers aren't close.

Here in California, I don't have a lot of chances to shoot 500 meters, maybe 2 times a year, for the state matches in Arizona and California.

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

I'm interested in velocities as well.

I'm shooting a grendel with pretty good success (relatively speaking) all around. 100ELDs on the first 3 and 130AR OTM bergers on Rams (sometimes on turkeys). Rick spotted for me at our state match here in TX, and my knockdown on hit rams was probably 80-90%.

I'm using H4895 on the 130s and Varget for the 100s. I think that the 26" barrel really helps, and Varget might work for the 130s as well. I don't have velocities either!
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

dwostler wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:31 pm around 2,300 - 2,400 fps out of a 26" barrel, this is a guess based on my clicks up on my scope.

I use 107/108's for the first 3 and a 130gr Norma Golden for the rams and 8208 XBR powder, same charge for all, because I'm lazy.

I guess I should measure it, and you have given me the incentive to do it.

I'll report back soon, but I would be surprised if the above numbers aren't close.

Here in California, I don't have a lot of chances to shoot 500 meters, maybe 2 times a year, for the state matches in Arizona and California.

Thanks, Dennis
Thanks, Dennis,

I’m in the process of putting a 6.5 BR together and was just curious about your velocities.

My personal experience with the Norma 130 VLD was good when I was shooting it out of a 6.5-08 at velocities that were not possible with other bullets...OK, they were hot loads and I don’t shoot them now, but they are good bullets.

Rick
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

RBriscoe wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:27 pm I’m in the process of putting a 6.5 BR together and was just curious about your velocities.
Should not be a problem for 6.5 BR, but a 6.5mm Creedmore is easier to find dies and brass and everything on the reloading side.

My friends and others use a 6.5mm Viking, basically a 6.5mm BR blown out to more like a Dasher. I made the original reamer back around 2003?
A couple of reloading dies are floating around and I think a few silhouette gunsmiths on this board have reamers.

I still have a set of original dies that I had made back then from Hornaday custom, I think I had 6 sets made. Anyway, I don't use it anymore so I'll have one up for sale soon.

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

jbmarshtx wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:04 am I'm interested in velocities as well.

I'm shooting a grendel with pretty good success (relatively speaking) all around. 100ELDs on the first 3 and 130AR OTM bergers on Rams (sometimes on turkeys). Rick spotted for me at our state match here in TX, and my knockdown on hit rams was probably 80-90%.

I'm using H4895 on the 130s and Varget for the 100s. I think that the 26" barrel really helps, and Varget might work for the 130s as well. I don't have velocities either!
It seems the Grendel just doesn't like the heaver bullets past 130's. I've had more than 90% luck with the Norma Golden's on Ram's. I don't remember ringing any rams in the last few times I've used it, but I don't hit very many also.

I think I found another 129-130 gr 6.5 mm bullet that looks like the best construction I've ever seen. I'm keeping under wraps until I can prove my theory. I use my friends at the state matches that are better shooters to prove it for me :))

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

A friend with a bullet manufacturer sectioned some of the Norma 130s for me. The jacket is tapered and gets thicker toward the base. The lead core appeared to be a typical (pure) lead core. (No chemical analysis was performed.)

With any of the 6.5s, but especially the small cases, velocity drops off in a hurry with heavier bullets. If the Grendel has a SASMI spec chamber the throat was set up for an AR-15 mag length. With a bolt gun that limit does not apply, especially if fired as a single shot. You can seat the bullet out to whatever length gets it up in the neck instead of taking up powder capacity and then have your ‘smith recut the throat to match.
Last edited by RBriscoe on Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

I had my reamer made to bolt action specs. Pacific Tool, same makers as original manufacture. I just had them tighten up the tolerances for bolt action. This was back when it first came out, just after my reamer was made, the OEM of that cartridge had them stop making reamers for anyone else, except for them. I'm not naming names on purpose. I was able to customize the chamber specs.

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father