100 Grain 7mm-08 Load

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

100 Grain 7mm-08 Load

Post by GeoNLR »

Can someone help me out with a 100 gr 7-08 load? I was it SLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW...Ha-ha. I simply want a low recoil load to shoot at the local matches through my heavy arse rifle that will hopefull = the feel of shooting a .22 lr off the bench! I don't want no 2900 fps load...slow is the key for this experment.... Will this dog hunt?

Thanks,

Chicken

PS> We shoot full scale Chickens and Pigs, the Turkeys and Rams are 1/2 scale at 1/2 distance. I have seen a .22lr knock off the turkeys...
Image Chicken George
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

I think the idea is going to be a "medium" charge of fairly fast (for the cartridge) powder. There are LOTS of powders that will work. H4895 is said to burn well with light loads. Even 4198, which is much too fast to safely push heavy bullets at high velocity, is used for mild loads in cartridges of this capacity. I use a Canadian military surplus powder called CMR 100 which was sold marked "Use 4895 Data Less 10%." I load it in 6.5x55 and 260 under 107-108 bullets. Accuracy is excellent. Velocity is around 2500 with 35 grains. Pressure, recoil and muzzle blast are low. Don't forget that muzzle blast...the body perceives it as recoil. Lemme know if you want a pound. I bet almost any of the "benchrest" powders would work...VV133, Benchmark, Rl 10, etc. Rl 15 is good, too, but on the slow end of the scale.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Chicken, If you want a real accurate reduced load try 23.0 grs. of IMR SR 4759 with a 150 SMK. It will run right around 2000 fps and give you great accuracy. It is very mild to shoot and you can use it out to the turkeys. You don't need a filler in the case as it is fairly bulky and will fill the case enough as to not give you ignition problems. I use it in my 30-30 and only use 16.0 grs. Al Foust
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

I forgot 4759. I've never used it with jacketed bullets but I've heard other people say it's great for this purpose. It's usually used as a bulky lead bullet powder in large rifle cases but some of the loading manuals show it for reduced loads with jacketed bullets. I need to try it. I use it in 38-55 and 45-70.