All Purpose HP Round?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Troy G
A Poster
A Poster

All Purpose HP Round?

Post by Troy G »

Now that there is less restriction on chamberings for Hunter is anyone planning an all purpose chambering to shoot in Hunter and Standard?
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

I'm thinking that the new Lapua 6.5x47, necked to 7mm might be interesting. Just as mentioned in the previous thread, it probably won't be significantly different from the short 7s that we've already got -- but you'd be starting with Lapua brass that wouldn't need much work...

All purpose HP round

Post by Guest »

Nomad,

At first glance, the new 6.5 mm Lapua looks very much like the 6.5 IHMSA, except the Lapua case has a 30 degree shoulder, vs. 38 degrees for the IHMSA. IMHO, the 7mm IHMSA is the most efficient cartridge to reliably knock down the rams, so a 6.5 Lapua necked up to 7 mm sounds appealing.

I'm planning to purchase a 7mm barrel, and I might just have it chambered in 7 IHMSA, since it is already an "established" wildcat cartridge. I could use necked-up Lapua brass and fire-form it. :wink:

Joaquin B.
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

Joaquin,

They say that the true test of another man's intelligence is the degree to which he agrees with you!

Since we seem to be thinking almost exactly alike, I figure that you must be damn near brilliant! :D

Ernie

(I'm not sure how soon I'll get this project underway. If I beat you to it, I'll keep you advised. If you get started first, I'll look forward to hearing your results. I do have a 7-08 Tikka with a bbl that's gone south so I've got a project-in-waiting right in the safe...)