30-06

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
rgm
Unclassified Poster

30-06

Post by rgm »

I am interested in using my 30-06 deer rifle. Any suggestions on loads.
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

In the words of Roy D Mercer...."Just how big of a boy are you?"

Sounds like a thumping good time!

Chicken the woosy
Last edited by GeoNLR on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Chicken George
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

What Chicken means is that the cartridge has somewhat more powder capacity than you need for silhouette. I haven't loaded this cartridge but I would get a good manual and experiment with medium charges of relatively fast-burning powder (4895, Rl 15) and bullets in the 150 grain range at around 2300-2500 for chickens-pigs-turkeys. Get that recoil and muzzle blast down. Go ahead and smack the ram with a heavier bullet. I would try the Sierra Palma MK bullet for the short line. Just find a nice, mild load that is reasonably accurate, 1.5 MOA is OK.
Don't obsess about the loading experimentation. Just get into the game and shoot matches. If you get the bug you'll be shopping for a more appropriate caliber in a year or two but it should be remembered that there have been a lot of matches won with the '06 (back when there were 30 animals, the pig hadn't been invented and a score of 11 or 12 would win the big matches.)
Good luck and good shooting to you.
Last edited by ajj on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

NO PIG? GOOD GRAVY!

If it weren't for the PIG I wouldn't hit anything! :D
ImageImage
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

'06?

Post by dwl »

Hey, anyone got load for my 416 Rigby? It's not a MAGNUM so it must be ok. I could load down with the 350 grain bullet and maybe 97 grains of powder for chickens, pigs and turkeys. For the ram load I suspect I'd have to use the 400 grainers with 107 grains. Any body know where I can buy a .416 bullet with high bc?

Wouldn't a big bore class be fun? We could use the smallbore distances but we might have to limit a match to 20 targets.

dwl
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

I fired a .416 Rigby at a regulation chicken once. Guy brought it to the range during a match and I took the challenge. It had iron sights and I held just a skosh high and shot just a skosh over the top. Bart got the next shot and chose the pig. He lined up, settled in and flinched so hard he almost dropped the rifle even though it didn't go off! While we were rolling on the ground laughing, he nailed the pig dead center. No target damage.
rgm
Unclassified Poster

Post by rgm »

I will be shootn' at The Benton Gun Club on their reduced range. Last weekend after the Smallbore Cowboy macth I fired 40 rounds of Remington
Our turkeys are defective, they keep moving!
Rick McCool

Post by Guest »

Unless you are independently wealthy you are going to have to enter the world of reloading if you intend to shoot centerfire silo. Not only are they cheaper, they allow you to tailor your loads to the game. On reduced ranges you can even sometimes find a cast bullet load that will preform well.
Gringo Grizzly

.30/06 Not all that bad

Post by Gringo Grizzly »

I used the '06 for years and shot a few master scores with it.

It would NOT be my first choice but it will work.
For decades this was the cartridge of choice in the U.S. for almost any kind of HP rifle shooting.

A few good loads - and these are using WW brass/F210M primers:

Something +/- one grain will probably do it for you.

45 gr H4895/150 SMK
46 gr IMR 4064/168 gr

The above are no worse than a .308W and are "pet loads" in the M-1/Springfield world.

That cannot be said for heavier bullets. When you get into the 180/190 grain range, although accurate. the recoil does become a factor in a 60 shot match - and a major factor for a multi-day match.

But......56 gr IMR 4350 will do the trick with a 190 SMK or 185 Berger.

IF what you have is an '06 USE IT! You can always change later.

GG