.270 Winchester For Hunter Class.

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
B Poster
B Poster

.270 Winchester For Hunter Class.

Post by 22284 »

It's been a great round for me to shoot in the past .Lots of fun for me at least as it's my deer rifle as well.

Load is 45 gr. of H4895 under a 135 SMK in Federal brass lit by Federal 210s.Always wanted to run some 4064 through it but never got around to it for some reason. No doubt that the 135 is a great Ram bullet. Never splashed a Ram. Not once.

If I ever get around to putiing a SA gun together undoubtably it will be the 270 Redding.

What's in your wallet.............
Smile even when it hurts.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: .270 Winchester For Hunter Class.

Post by malinois »

Its been done in the past....so have it.....I bet if you look at some of the rifles that were shot during the early years of silhouette in AZ , NM or TX you will find that there were lots of em and 3006's so its not unheared of its just not very common these days. :-bd Whats the match bullet availability for it ?
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 22284 »

malinois wrote: Whats the match bullet availability for it ?
Pretty limited in my experience as the 135 SMK is the only one that I have seen and they have always been plentiful.Awesome on the Rams. Cannot ever remember splashing a single one.

The .277 just doesn't seem to get the credit it deserves. Gonna build a 270 Redding some day. My focus now will be smallbore as I'm retiring soon and 22LR is sooooo much fun.

Cheers, 22284
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

retire lucky you....I have a few more to go...but I will be up in your area to shoot the HP state match so maybe I will run into you...The 270 is a nice round and I bet if sierra or some one made a 150gr MK that it would rock...especially in the shorter 270 wildcats that are out there.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

It's going to kick you silly by the time you finish the match.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

22284 yes there is recoil...But fortunatly you reload and you can tailor your rounds for the job at hand...light for the first 3 and heavier for the rams....and it is your deer rifle..you are comfortable with it so you should do well with it.....enjoy and lots of luck with it.
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 22284 »

Recoil ??????..... Nah never been a problem with the 270. I shot the above load for maybe 6 years in HP and it never bother me a bit. Accurate as can be out of a box stock rifle. Shoots right at moa and has since the day I bought it.

BTW, it's an old pre 64 Model 70 std. with a steel butt plate and it weighs 10 lbs. on the nose..

malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Yeah a real work horse bet it shoots all by it self too...Those old guns just seem to have a way about them...
Gator
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Gator »

I shot .270 for 10 years with good results. I remember 1999 Nationals; it was on of three long action rifles on the range. 44 gr IMR3031 and 130 Hornady spire point out of a FN was pleasant to shoot. Got the gun, used, for hunting in 1971. Malinois will remember the gun from Malabar in the ‘80’s shootin’ with Bud, Bud, Pops and the gang. Shot it a lot. Shot the barrel out by '04 and went to the Tikka in 6.5x55 but still have a soft spot for the ole .270. It’s retired in the safe, ready for back-up if needed. Still keep a little ammo loaded just in case.
Gator
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Yes I remenber gator and the whole gang.....things where sure a lot more simpler then...and you know even back then pops was showing us the way with his blue thunder in 6.5 m m lots of shooters come to mind I miss em there were some carachters in that bunch.
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

I think 10lbs is too heavy for hunter class :shock:
tim
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Back in the day.....There was no hunter class...thats what we were discusing...70's and early 80's. and most rifles looked like well hunting rifles. There is a good book out there by elgin gates that covers the history of Metalic Silhouette its a good read check it out you will see the old guns and the great shots of the day...lots of pictures.
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

I have that book. Paid five bucks for it from a guy in Tucson who had one more than he needed. I use a .270 as my Deer Rifle, don't know if I would want to send 40 plus, down range with a full charge for a match though!
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Jim Beckley wrote:I have that book. Paid five bucks for it from a guy in Tucson who had one more than he needed. I use a .270 as my Deer Rifle, don't know if I would want to send 40 plus, down range with a full charge for a match though!
Wimp!

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

I know a 10 year old girl that could probably do it and whip most of us in the process...
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ