6br.

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
bill larson
Unclassified Poster

6br.

Post by bill larson »

will a 6 br. loaded with 66 grain bullets @ 2900 ft/sec knock down all but rams...???
thanks
bil
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: 6br.

Post by Jerry G »

I shoot a 243 with 115gr VLDs at 2830 fps and I don't have much trouble, other than hitting the damn things.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

I used to practice with .243's loaded with 70gr. SMK at about the same speed and 58 gr. V-max at 3100. No problems knocking over the chicken and turkey. Occasionally a pig would wobble and not fall. This target weighs in at 31 pounds. Hitting them on either end proved to be the best way to knock them off the rail.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

I dont think you will be succesfull with the light bullets when I shot a 6BR I had it built up for silhouette from the start....With a 1-8 twist barrel and I only shot 105 A-max or Sierra 107 gr bullets at all 4 distances...it worked well with those bullets. I shot them at about 2550 fps. The 6br is a nice caliber for the recoil shy but it is iffy especialy with targets being what the are....in the long run I went back to my 260. It will work but expect it to be not 100% on rams...not that any caliber is but the potential is greater to lose rams with the 6br.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

What is your attraction to the 6 BR? Light recoil? Just want to try one?

A shooter in our club who can not handle a great deal of recoil (for medical reasons) had a long throated 7 BR made up and has played around with the loads to find ones that he can comfortably handle. He has had remarkable success with it on the rams.

It has a bit of a rainbow trajectory, but that does not appear to cause him problems.

You might want run some numbers comparing the 6 BR's recoil and momentum and compare it with some other cartridges.

Whether the 6 BR will work for you depends on the ranges where you expect to shoot it as much as anything else. Almost any cartridge will encounter days at some ranges when it leaves rams. That is just the way it is. I would expect the 6 BR to be more inclined to leave rams than some other cartridges. A number of years ago I looked into a 6 BR, but got talked out of it by some people whose experience was that it left about 40% of the rams it hit. Not everyone's experience has been that bad though. If you are aware of that and know that there will be such days, go ahead and give it a try, but be aware that there are a lot of former 6mm shooters out there who have moved along to something with greater momentum.

As observed by the others, shooting pigs off center is frequently a good idea no matter what you shoot.

Whatever you choose, have fun.
Last edited by RBriscoe on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

A slow, heavy bullet will perform better on the rams than a light, fast one. It is the momentum that counts in tipping steel, not the energy.
Phill Smyth
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Phill Smyth »

7BR is soft to shoot 32.5 gr adi 2208, behind 145 MK for practise i have used 125 gr on c/p/t's or 175 MK for the rams 2475fps
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

I used 32.0 grains of Varget (ADI 2208) behind Hornady 162 gr. HPBTs out of a 25 inch 7 mm BR barrel over a decade ago, and it still left a few rams standing. I eventually re-chambered the barrel to 7 mm-08 and, if memory serves me, I only left 1 ram standing after being hit, until the barrel wore-out and had to be replaced. The rifle now uses a .260 barrel.
Joaquin B