Getting sighted without a spotter

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
carl425
A Poster
A Poster

Getting sighted without a spotter

Post by carl425 »

Any tricks for getting your sightings for the different animals without a spotter? If I miss the paper, which is pretty dammed easy with a new load past chicken distance, I have no idea which way to go as the recoil moves me off the target preventing me from seeing the impact.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

How big a piece of paper are you allowed to post? Could you not get someone to look through the spotting scope for just a few seconds to help if you got everything set up for them and they just had to walk over and look?
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

Carl,

Start by sighting-in at 25 or 50 yards or meters, using a small dot on a white paper. At these distances, any deviation from your point of aim will be minimized. Also, once you are horizontally zeroed-in at this short distance, you will be at true zero, since there will be minimal cross-wind effects on the flight of your bullets.

Once you are sighted-in at 50, you will be no more than 2 or 3 inches off, vertically of your target at 200 meters, and whatever windage affects your horizontal. Then the fine-tuning begins.

Once you are zeroed-in at 200 meters, 3 or 4 minutes up will be required for pigs, 5 to 7 for turkeys, and close to 11 for the rams, depending on caliber/velocity.

Happy New Year,

JB
Joaquin B
Travelor
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Travelor »

You really need to do some paperwork before sighting in. It will decrease your frustration and number of rounds to get sighted in.

Need to work out your ballistic tables: www.eskimo.com/~jbm/ballistics/traj/traj.html

George
George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

Joaquin's come-ups will get you on paper, shure nuff.