Making a safety for a Hunter rifle trigger

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Varn
A Poster
A Poster

Making a safety for a Hunter rifle trigger

Post by Varn »

Barnard makes a two stage trigger for the Tikka HP guns. These Barnard triggers don't have a safety though. I'm wanting to use one of these triggers for my Tikka HPHR. The rule states it has to have a functional safety for a hunter. It doesn't state that the safety has to be a factory part or part of the trigger; just functional. The Anschutz 1712's use a wing safety on the shroud that blocks the firing pin. It is not part of the trigger.
For the Tikka/ Barnard trigger I'm thinking of tapping the rear of the trigger guard and installing a nylon screw. I could then glue a nylon nut on the screw where it would contact the rear of the trigger. This would give it a bigger surface to block rearward movement of the trigger and would retain it from falling out of the rear of the trigger guard due to vibration. I would thread it towards the rear of the trigger blade to put the safety on and thread it away from the trigger blade and towards the rear of the trigger guard to allow the rifle to fire. I feel this would conform to the rules and be a functional safety. What do you guys/gals think? Would you see a rules problem with this? What I don't want is contoversy come inspection time at National or state championships. Thank you for your time and inputs. Mark Varner
Varn
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Varn »

Look like I will be able to install this trigger and safety. I called Greg Conner on this today, sent him an email and got the following response:

Mr. Varner

Greg will accept this for a safety in accordance with Silhouette Rifle Rule 3.1.1.

This e-mail will go before the Silhouette Committee meeting in 07.

Don Nance

I want to thank all of the people who gave me input and opininons on this project.
Troy G
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Troy G »

Very interesting. Could the same thing then be done with a Rem 700 Hunter using an Annie trigger?