Re barrelling a Rem 700 BDL What calibre to pick???

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
daisy
A Poster
A Poster

Re barrelling a Rem 700 BDL What calibre to pick???

Post by daisy »

It's a 1979 vintage in 22-250 and has had a fare amount of shots threw it over the years. I don't know when I'll get it re barrelled but was thinking I could get it in a calibre for silhouette.

The only match I shot I used my 30-06 and after 80 shots I was glad it was over. Not that I won't do it again as it was still fun.

Any comments would be appreciated.

daisy
skydiver41
B Poster
B Poster

popular calibers

Post by skydiver41 »

Not in this order of popularity, but 260, 7BR, 7-08 and 308 are the most common calibers we see at the line on our range. An occasional 6.5x55 Swede can also be seen. From what I've read the new 6.5x47 Lapua has a lot of potential and will start to appear. Personally I own a 7BR and 7-08. Welcome to our sport.
Skydive:Take risks not to escape life...but to prevent life from escaping!
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

I'm new to the sport, and shoot a 308. I bought a good stock (McMillan Master Silhouette) and put a box stock (adjusted trigger) Remington LTR in it. 308 is a good round for me as I'm familiar with its ballistics and loading.
When I rebarrel it will be the base for a 7-08 custom gun with a Shilen or Kreiger Silhouette contour barrel.
If you plan on doing silhouette long term, look at what's on the line for caliber and barrel makers and contours. Talk to lots of folks and envision what you want to end up with.
"Knowing what you know now, how would you set up a rifle for XXX (insert budget here)?" might be a good question to ask some AAA/Master shooters.
Good luck and hold steady!

ETA-Lots of guys here that shoot well are shooting 6mmBR's. I need to be able to place shots better before I lose that much knockdown.
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E
carl425
A Poster
A Poster

Post by carl425 »

Sobr,

Did you really mean to say 6mmBR? Anybody that's shot a 243 in silhouette will tell you that it won't knock over the ram reliably, and the 243 looks like a magnum compared to the 6mmBR.

Daisy,

If I were choosing my next rifle today, it would be the 6.5x47. There seems to be a consensus that a 139-142 gr bullet is the minimum reliable ram killer. The 6.5 mm version of this weight bullet has the best ballistic coefficient and therefore the most retained energy/least drop and drift at 500 meters, and the 6.5x47 is the most efficient/accurate cartridge that'll shoot it with sufficient velocity. All this makes sense since it was developed in 2006 specifically as a long range target round.

You didn't say so in your original post, but this assumes you're planning to load your own ammo. If that's not the case, the 308 offers the widest selection of factory target loads. Just be sure to get a good recoil pad.
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

I'm really happy with my 7BR. Low recoil, lots of smack w/162 Amax
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

.260, if you can get Lapua 139 or 144 for rams.
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

Yup, 6mmBr. They are using 107's at I don't know what speed. I thunk it odd too, but one of the guys using th 6br was a state champ, and I'm still a B class noob, so.........
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day Daisy
Go the 7/08 then we can pinch your ammo. You must admit you had a good time shooting that 30 06. Don't forget the Snowball.
Juddy
morerams
B Poster
B Poster

Post by morerams »

I'm with Juddy, go 7mm08, it is an easy cartridge to get on with and by the time you have worn out your barrel you will know a lot more about silhouette and may decide on something else, but you will never be at a disadvantage using a 7mm08.
steel_ram
B Poster
B Poster

Post by steel_ram »

Please forgive be if I'm wrong assuming "Daisy" is a female shooter. (not all Lady Bugs are Ladies).

Anyways, the .243 in a fast twist is a pleasant caliber to shoot and lacks nothing but recoil for CPT's. Rams, you may lose a few, but if the new 115's are available to you that may improve Ram take down.

243 brass (including premium quality) is readily available.
daisy
A Poster
A Poster

Post by daisy »

[quote="steel_ram"]Please forgive be if I'm wrong assuming "Daisy" is a female shooter. (not all Lady Bugs are Ladies).

No I am not a female. It's a nickname I've had since I was a kid. That even pre-dates the hippy days and it followed me throu my 4 years in the usaf and
all the way to Australia.

Thanks for your input as well as everyone else s . I'm leaning towards the 7mm08 but don't know when I'll get to( afford ) it.

Regards
daisy
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day All
Daisy if you were a sheila I think I'd give up on chasing them lol. If you come to SnowBall talk to Rob Tobler about a Remington SPS in 7/08. He got all the boys one and did them for a good price. Con plunked a 3.5" group at Rams with his unaltered. Cus and I bought the stainless and both can hit dots at 500m also I know of heaps in different calibres and they all shoot good.
Juddy
Troy G
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Troy G »

What CPT bullet are you 7-08 shooters using at what velocity?

What bullet are you then using for rams at what velocity?
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

Troy,

For C, P & T, 140 grain Spitzer Boat-Tail bullets at ~2600 fps (~36 grains of VARGET powder) work great out of my Tikka Hunter.

For Rams, 162/168 grain HPBT Match or A-Max bullets at ~2650 fps have a 100% knock-down record on rams hit, also with the Tikka.

I hope this helps! 8)
Joaquin B
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Troy, also consider using the 7mm 175 Sierra Match bullets for rams, I use them on a 7mm BR and 7 IHMSA rifles. I like their performance much better than the Sierras 168's since I am loading at lower velocities than the 7mm-08's.