Drawings for HP Targets

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
KidCulpepper
B Poster
B Poster

Drawings for HP Targets

Post by KidCulpepper »

Does anyone have dxf drawings of the full size targets? I am trying to get a quote to have some made... (I know about the PDF drawings on the NRA site but that is not what I am looking for.)

Thanks,
Kid
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Drawings for HP Targets

Post by edgehit »

Specifically, what kind of drawings do you want? AutoCAD?
- Joe
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Kid, I just emailed you the DXF files. I only have an Educational version of AutoCAD on my PC, so there will be a warning on the drawings. Shouldn't affect the water/plasma/laser cutter though.
KidCulpepper
B Poster
B Poster

Post by KidCulpepper »

Thanks! I just sent them so we should have a quote soon.

Kid
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

OK....if you need drawings you have steel.....where did you get it and what is it (T1 or etc)...and do they have more :D
KidCulpepper
B Poster
B Poster

Post by KidCulpepper »

Snake,

No steel yet - have to get a quote first and submit a proposal to my club BoD. Needed the drawings in order to figure out how many animals can be made from what size sheets. Plan on using T1 and should be able to find out more about the source once I get approval and funding for the purchase.

Kid
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

Kid...consider AR 400...AR500 is too brittle and very hard to weld. T1 and all high carbon steels of that ilk require preheating for good welds B-) Plasma or water jets make the nicest animals
KidCulpepper
B Poster
B Poster

Post by KidCulpepper »

Thanks - I gave them the list of steels listed in the silhouette handbook which I don't think mentions AR400 specifically but I did say that a BHN up to 400 would be acceptable depending on what they could find. Maybe I should shoot them an email and tell them that specifically. I thought based on some info that you posted here on SC previously that T-1 was the way to go (if you can find it). The place I am getting the quote is a good size manufacturing facility owned by a club member that I have known for years. She knows her stuff and I am sure will do a fantastic job. She has a big laser cutter, which I thought was a little better than plasma but maybe not quite as good as waterjet for HP silo targets. I had been told that plasma tends to soften the edges?

Kid
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

T-1 is the best ...there are in fact several versions of it...so long as it is 360 or higher BHN....T-1 has the best 'yield' sort like flexibility or resilience ...its a USX steel product. Lots of it was used in mining operations...we once found a couple of sheets at an old Illinois coal operation..the stuff we could use was 1/2" and a couple of pieces of 1" which we made a turkey and a ram swinger from..I mention this to suggest looking for heavier stock for your swingers. Silhouette steels must be tempered and quenched...so when you look at available alloys ask for high carbon, tempered and quenched. Pllasma does not change the chemical composition of steel and any heat cutting theorectically 'softens' the edges...it afterall melts steel to cut.....who ever does the cutting the cheapest...other than ox-acetylene...is the answer :D
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Plasma has a HAZ (heat affected zone) up to 1/2" from the edge of cuts. It can also create a Nitride "coating" due to the nitrogen present in the air supply which will create a brittle hardening at the edge. Laser cutting should only have a HAZ of about 1/10" of an inch from the edge. Water jet would be the best option as it will not have any HAZ at all.

Another option would be submerged plasma cutting which would resolve the HAZ issue with cutting it in open air. Probably not a lot of these operations around.

Laser or waterjet cutting is the better option. It'll keep the edges from getting chewed up from all those edge hits. I have sensitive hands and don't like getting cut up when resetting. Snake wouldn't know about that with being spoiled and not having to reset his own targets. :ymdevil:
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

The important things to take care of when making the silhouettes out of steel plate having at least a hardness of BHN 400 (softer steel will bend and crater a lot sooner).:

a) Make sure the ends of the legs being welded to the feet pads are slightly beveled.

b) Make sure the surfaces being welded are CLEAN. Nothing promotes cracking and lack of weld penetration like dirt and grime.

c) Make sure the welder slightly pre-heats the pads being welded after they are tacked in place.

d) Once the pads are welded make sure the areas ADJACENT to each of the welds are re-heated to a dark, dull red with a propane torch and allowed to air cool. This will stress-relieve the welds and minimize cracking, which usually occurs in weld joints, precisely because they don't bother to reheat after welding.

We took the precautions listed above many years ago when fabricating silhouettes for
our club in Phoenix and there has been very little breakage, bending or cratering of targets in almost 20 years of regular use.

Best of luck!
Joaquin B
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

Trent....edge hits? Really? I thought a dude like you doesn't score 'no stinking edge hits'....here are some anecdotal factoids...our targets were plasma cut...the edges show surprising little problems....welds are a bigger issue....somebody I know hasn't been pre heating and stress relieving 8-| But Senor Trent, you are correct about laser or water jet being smoother...with no SPLINTERS..and I know you know about splinters :D
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

AR 400 is a little soft for chickens and pigs but would be fine foir the other 2 animals. All the welds should be pre and post heated on the high strength materials. I would also recomend using 70XX rod.
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Jerry G wrote:AR 400 is a little soft for chickens and pigs but would be fine foir the other 2 animals. All the welds should be pre and post heated on the high strength materials. I would also recomend using 70XX rod.
Yep, it's really as "simple" as that. Proper pre-heat and the right rod. (7018) I don't think post heating is necessary but I guess it might depend on the temp of the fab shop doing the work (ambient temp). This is a good thread. The HP forum is usually where we just discuss 6.5 vs 7mm. :)
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Snake wrote:Trent....edge hits? Really? I thought a dude like you doesn't score 'no stinking edge hits'....here are some anecdotal factoids...our targets were plasma cut...the edges show surprising little problems....welds are a bigger issue....somebody I know hasn't been pre heating and stress relieving 8-| But Senor Trent, you are correct about laser or water jet being smoother...with no SPLINTERS..and I know you know about splinters :D
I like edge hits at your range. It's the best way to make sure those stubborn Rams fall over. And I'll take any hit I can get these days!

Oh, and I remember you being first in line to help pull that splinter out of my ass. I'm guessing you're from the wrong side of the river. ;)