6.5 Creedmoor?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

6.5 Creedmoor?

Post by snaketail2 »

I'm considering returning to high power. I see that Ruger is going to bring out the affordable Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor. Since I don't know enough to ask specific questions about my choice I thought I'd ask an open ended question:

Would the Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor be a good choice for a new shooter?

Thanks,
M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor?

Post by dustinflint »

I think that 6.5 Creedmore is an excellent caliber choice for silhouette. I dont know anything about the Ruger American. I've seen a couple of off-the-shelf Savage rifles in 6.5 Creedmore with the Accutrigger and they seem great. If I was going to buy a factory rifle for silhouette I think I'd buy a Savage in 6.5 Creedmore. (Or maybe a Tikka/Sako in 6.5 Creedmore or .260 if one is available)

Dustin
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

dustinflint wrote:I think that 6.5 Creedmore is an excellent caliber choice for silhouette. I dont know anything about the Ruger American. I've seen a couple of off-the-shelf Savage rifles in 6.5 Creedmore with the Accutrigger and they seem great. If I was going to buy a factory rifle for silhouette I think I'd buy a Savage in 6.5 Creedmore. (Or maybe a Tikka/Sako in 6.5 Creedmore or .260 if one is available)

Dustin
Ditto what Dustin said, the Tikka is a great rifle for the price and I know several that shoot it in the 6.5x55 caliber.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

The 6.5 Creedmore is right in line with a 6.5x47 Lapua, it will work just fine for Silhouettes, I know Savage makes them in a Creedmore and a .260, I have one in a .260 that I picked up to play with, don't know how often you would use it, but the biggest question with a Savage is would they hold up for silhouette? I have never seen a Tikka that wouldn't shoot right out of the box. I know that a 6.5 Creedmore will work on AZ Whitetails also, Bill Cole took a nice one last year and I showed up in just enough time to help drag it the last few yards to his van.
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
ldholton
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ldholton »

If I were gambling on a factory gun in a creedmor, I would spend my $$ on a Weatherby Vangaurd
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

ldholton wrote:If I were gambling on a factory gun in a creedmor, I would spend my $$ on a Weatherby Vangaurd
Yuck. No way.

Dustin
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Been shooting my Savage for a while and its doing fine...and its very accurate.
ldholton
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ldholton »

[quote="dustinflint"][quote="ldholton"]If I were gambling on a factory gun in a creedmor, I would spend my $$ on a Weatherby Vangaurd[/quote]

Yuck. No way.

Dustin[/quote]

I know it's not for everyone just given the OP another option I do hear most ladies and girly type men (gay) don't like the feel of that stock
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

The problem that most of the ladies and girly men I know have with the Weatherby is that it's not accurate enough to hit the broad side of an ocean liner at 500 meters.

Dustin
ldholton
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ldholton »

Answers that , you haven't been around many
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

ldholton wrote:Answers that , you haven't been around many
Gay men or ocean liners?

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one!!!! =))

Add levity to conversation here........
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

That's true. I haven't been around enough gay men to know. I'll concede to you that gay men shoot Weatherbys.

Dustin
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Stop it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am trying real hard not to insert a stupid remark here. :ymdevil:
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

To be honest, my only experience with Weatherby is from a guy that had two of them and asked me to help him work up loads that would shoot well in his rifles. Despite trying every trick in the book, we couldn't get either to group very well at 100 meters. He finally gave up and sold them. Those rifles left a bad taste in my mouth for Wetherby so I don't really like them. For all I know, those may have just been two lemons. They may be great. To each his own; shoot whatever you like!

Dustin
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

Right now at least in the 3 AZ stores, Sportsmans Warehouse is selling Tikkas for a hundred bucks off, Fathers Day Sale. As far as I know either owning or shooting a Tikka won't make a fudge packer out of ya.
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.