Browning X bolt varmint - GRS stock

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
African Villager
B Poster
B Poster

Browning X bolt varmint - GRS stock

Post by African Villager »

Greetings from Sunny South Africa (Cape Town )

After a long absence from the sport of shooting money through a Rifle barrel ( Silhouette Shooting ) the time has come to get back in the game

The Last time I participated was during the late 90's and Many a .270/3006 were the calibers used then .

I currently own a .308 Musgrave Hunting rifle ( Mauser K98 type) and will be good to have a go with but this is a stock standard Hunting rifle with a Tasco 3-9x40 Scope
Accuracy is OK , OK for Hunting Shooting Kudu/Impala/Warthogs up to 200/300m but never really tried seeing what it does beyond those distances.

For all intents and purposes starting from Scratch. After looking at several rifles from the Shelf the one that really got my attention is the Browning X Bolt varminter in a GRS stock comes in 6.5x55SE and .308

http://browning.eu/products/mresult.php ... GRSSFTHRSM

Any Opinions or experiences with this rifle will be gladly appreciated.

Had a long look at the Tikka t3 Sporter and it did not speak to me and after reading some of the comments about legality it sort of took itself out of the race.

Is this stock legal for Silhouette HP Rifle ? ( Standard class) If not I think a Sako 85 .260 or 7mm08 it will be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Browning X bolt varmint - GRS stock

Post by thauglor »

Can't tell you if that stock is legal or not because it doesn't list the dimensions, but the T3 Sporter, if my memory serves me right, is at least a 9.5 pound gun without any else on it. I weighed mine when I got it, it's a heavy beast but for position shooting it works for me as there is no weight limit.

Does silhouette shooting in South Africa use the American NRA rules?
yankee
A Poster
A Poster

Post by yankee »

Can't find much information on the Browning. For your information on the Sako 85. Model 85s, 260 Remington, Wood stock, 22 inch barrel, detachable magazine weighs 7 pounds 4 ounces. With Leupold rings and Leupold Premier 18x40 and sunshade it weighs 8 pounds 13 ounces. Magazine length is 2.950 inches and a loaded round with a Sierra 140 grain Match King touching the lands is 2.960 inches. This one shoots under a minute of angle easy out to 500M just the way it came from the factory. I believe the standard rifle rules for you and us in the US are pretty close to the same. But use caution on the hunter as the NRA changed a few things on the hunter 12 or 15 years ago. The Model 85 should be good for your rules also as it is an out of the box rifle with original barrel and all that.
African Villager
B Poster
B Poster

Post by African Villager »

thauglor wrote:Can't tell you if that stock is legal or not because it doesn't list the dimensions, but the T3 Sporter, if my memory serves me right, is at least a 9.5 pound gun without any else on it. I weighed mine when I got it, it's a heavy beast but for position shooting it works for me as there is no weight limit.

Does silhouette shooting in South Africa use the American NRA rules?
Yes NRA rules are followed but here and there a slight addendum. I think the T3 Sporter is awesome in concept the problem I have with it is the Finish
the Black Orange colours combined with the cheap plastic Magazine is not what I have in mind.

Secondly is the price I checked with 3 dealers and this Rifle costs new ZAR32 900 to R36 000 ( $3075 -$3364) if I paid $1500-1600 for it would not bother me as much. Rifle shopping here involves a lot of research /planning and haggling and also restricted to how many firearms one is allowed to own so when buying something it has to be usefull and a bunch of wallflowers not possible.
killabeez
Unclassified Poster

Post by killabeez »

There is a guy here is Aus who shoots a tikka varmint with a GRS stock, so it does make weight for silhouette class. However I think his scope is fairly lightweight ie. VX3 6.5-20x40