What power scope

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

What power scope

Post by snaketail2 »

Is 36 power really necessary? Is 12 power too low?
If you were starting over which scope power would you go with?

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: What power scope

Post by Jerry G »

V 18 to 40 usualy shot at around 30 to 35.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

The simple answer to both questions is NO. All my scopes are Leupolds, fixed and variables. I use to shoot with a guy that swore 36x was the way to go. I tried one for a season used only for club level matches. I disliked it for a number of reasons, mainly when windy and mirage. Easy to lose your intended target when windy, mirage was very noticeable and distracting with that much magnification. I really like the 12x and 6.5-20's, too. My two match guns wear fixed 25x's with 3/8ths dot, the current silhouette models.

I would recommend a 6.5-20x, or any good variable to anyone asking. Our last May match was quite windy. I shot half the match with a 6.5-20x set at 10x. It did not look like I was being blown around as much. Starting over, one choice? Leupold 6.5-20x hands down. Although those 25x's are pretty sweet, too.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

I guess you don't get much for your nickle here these days, snaketail2. :roll:
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I agree with Mr McAlice...6.5x20 EFR Leupold is the way to go especially when starting out, even though they are about 4 oz heavier than a fixed power Leupold (FX3)....spend the money once..buy a leupold...skip the ones in between (Nikon, Tasco, etc) 'cause you will discard them and buy again :((
DennisC
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DennisC »

All my HP rifles wear fixed 24X Leupold, the old M8 I think they were called. Recently picked up a new VX3 25x for SB and it's impressive glass.
I went with a 18-40 premier boost years ago after squadding with a shooter that used 36X, over time the ~24X seemed to be about all I could handle day in and out. The 20X just seemed a tad too small and 30X up I could never get to settle. 3/8 dot works OK for me in SB but I seem to prefer the 1/2 min in HP, something about the distance and old eyes losing focus.

Bottom line is enough magnification to see detail within the target without so much magnification that the brain is overwhelmed with movement, also having spent enough time on the rifle that a consistent position becomes a habit. In other words when the rifle comes up both eyes open on the target, rifle settles in, all of a sudden left eye goes away and right eye 'sees' target through scope. Until that position is achieved even a 20X becomes a struggle. In other words only time and loads of practice and frustration will determine the ideal setup for YOU...spotting for the above mentioned shooter while he shot 39/40 HP and seeing him shoot (and call) silver dollar size groups on turkeys and rams convinced me 36X was the ultimate (with a 2oz trigger) set up. MY scores went in the toilet, old man vs young man reaction time and vision.
Good luck and keep good notes on all the stuff you try and like, and don't like....
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

Scope power is just a personal preference. I always felt more comfortable with the animals up close and used the premier bumped at 40x and 5/8 dot all the time. When you get a scope from premier, be sure to check the parallax if you use different power settings. We got bitten really badly once when my spotter and I shared a rifle with a new scope I just installed prior to the match.

As for shooting the wrong bank, I've done that.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Whatever power you can hold steady enough that you are breaking the shot in the area you want. The higher magnification just gives you the ability to really hone in on a spec or splotch on the animal where you want to break the shot. Reaction timing changes when you move around different magnifications I have found. As Bob mentioned the mirage factor on a hot day especially with a hot barrel in HP is a big drawback. The normal summer mirage we have down here makes things dance all over with a cold barrel. Add all that mirage right in front of the scope with a hot barrel and it doubles or more. Turkeys and Rams here appear to be behind a waterfall. A 3-4" black shoot n see dot on paper dances all over in the scope on the bench at those ranges with a cold barrel.

I shoot 30x FX3 on my HP rifle. On all my other rifles SB and Air I use 8-32x Bushnell 4200s with a booster to up around 36-38 range. When I got back to 24x things look pretty small these days lol. Sometimes I dial back all the way to 8x +the booster and it almost appears I have no movement and can hold like granite, but damn those animals get REALLY SMALL at those lower mags. To low and you are basically shooting at a dot simply trying to maybe favor one side or the other for conditions. With the higher mag scopes you can actually see the animals distinctly and try to place shots at more precise spots, provided your hold and trigger control and follow through and breathing etc allow you to do so =))

If I had to start someone out it would be 24-25x IMO. This one guy that shoots with us named Dustin only uses 24-25x and it has never hurt him. He tried 36x for a brief time and quickly switched back to 24x. He can pick out aiming spots with it when you spot for him and break on them even at 24x. How guys shot this with 3x9 and 4-6x scopes way back when is beyond me. I guess its almost like iron sights at that point with a booster :lol:

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!