An observation

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

An observation

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

I am right in the middle of loading 100 7-08's fired Tuesday. The load will be the same, 140 Sierra flat base spitzer/40.0grs. IMR 4064. Since returning to this propellant for practice ammo I have been reminded of something. There is clearly 2/3's more carbon being scraped from the pockets than when using Varget.These were scraped clean last week. I use CCI 200 primers only. Not a big deal, the load is an accurate one and beats using Varget during the hoarding caused shortage. The scraper is a GCP limited edition, no longer available. :mrgreen:

whale
A Poster
A Poster

Re: An observation

Post by whale »

Mr. Mc Alice,
Is the IMR4064 dirtier than IMR4350?
Whale
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Whale, I was not implying that this powder burns dirty. When cleaning bores the patches were no different from Varget. There have been many times I scraped 100 pockets on brass that fired Varget that produced very little carbon in the tray. To the point that it was not worth the extra effort. For some reason, chemical make up and burn properties I assume, IMR 4064 leaves a considerable deposit in the pocket that Varget does not. Use your 4350 with complete assurance it will perform well.

Last warning...don't call me Mr. :lol:
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

Thanks Mr. McAlice,
I will keep this in mind. I will be reloading after the fourth of July weekend using the IMR4064 and IMR4350 that I recently purchased. I will work up a load for Sierra 150gr HPBT bullets in 7mm-08 that I received by mistake. I know many people use the 130gr for c,p,t and 168gr for the rams. The 150s would be for practice and short range target shooting ( 100-300 ) yards. Also, my friend returned from a hunting trip from the west or the western part of Canada with eight pounds of Varget for me. He is tired of me crying that none is available. The only thing he said was the powder is going to cost me some money! Ouch! This is going to hurt.
Whale
yankee
A Poster
A Poster

Post by yankee »

Bob
I have noticed the same thing with the 200 primer and 4064. but it keeps on working hot or cold thick and thin lot after lot for 30 plus years.
Chad
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Bob,
Clean them cases with Stainless Steel pins media and never scrap your primer pockets again... not to mention have shiny brass both inside and out!!! :D

F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Hey 259, get a grip. These are low tech breech plugs. I don't want to wear little white girly gloves to handle them. :roll: Besides, I like using my home made little cool scraper. :)

Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Bob Mc Alice wrote:Hey 259, get a grip. These are low tech breech plugs. I don't want to wear little white girly gloves to handle them. :roll: Besides, I like using my home made little cool scraper. :)

Sorry, I forgot you retired guys have all the time in the world to fuss and bitch about how busy you are =))

I think the piece of brass second up from the bottom on the right needs to get thrown out, with all your time don't you check the necks or has retirement forced you to use your brass till it separates, probably all that carbon build up on the inside that's holding all that dirty brass together anyway :))

F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Hell, think about it. If my brass was all shiny and new looking all the time I would never see the head crack developing. Yeah, I take them to their near deaths.
DennisC
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DennisC »

whale wrote:Thanks Mr. McAlice,
I will keep this in mind. I will be reloading after the fourth of July weekend using the IMR4064 and IMR4350 that I recently purchased. I will work up a load for Sierra 150gr HPBT bullets in 7mm-08 that I received by mistake. I know many people use the 130gr for c,p,t and 168gr for the rams. The 150s would be for practice and short range target shooting ( 100-300 ) yards. Also, my friend returned from a hunting trip from the west or the western part of Canada with eight pounds of Varget for me. He is tired of me crying that none is available. The only thing he said was the powder is going to cost me some money! Ouch! This is going to hurt.
Whale
Outstanding mistake....was told by very reliable source many years ago that the 150mk in 7mm was the most consistently accurate .284 bullet tested in the Sierra tunnel. Load it to ~2500fps and discover ease of annihilation of turkeys in the wind....not that much difference in recoil between 130-150, but quite a bit of difference at 400 in terms of accuracy. Try it...might like it!!
whale
A Poster
A Poster

Post by whale »

DennisC,
It was just a simple shipping error. I kept the box of Sierra 150gr HPBT and purchased another box of Sierra 168gr HPBT. I will be loading them up using the Varget, IMR4064 and IMR4350 powders that I have on hand. I will be using Federal 210 primers since I am running low on the Federal GM210M match primers. Thanks.
Whale
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Ditto on your 150 comments, DennisC. I switched to them just for turkeys a few years back. Frequent wind here, the 150's drift half of the 130's. I had to bump up only two grains of Varget to have the same 6.5 setting on my scope turret as 130's. Some call it too complicated to load three bullets for silhouette, to which I say BS. In always calm Wright City I can shoot either with same setting. Phoenix, Raton, my home range..I can use what the wind dictates. As an added bonus they will knock over our rams most of the time.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I got a mess of 150 gamekings by mistake at the 'seconds' store. Loaded with 38 grs of XMR 4064 they group shoot the same as the matchking and experimentally knock over rams (from the bench) consistently. As you know our rams aren't easy when the wind is out of the northwest (always). additionally I have always found IMR 4064 and Varget...dirtier than XMR 4064...no matter what primer. The Federal 210m..match is the same as the regular 210 just visually inspected