Why is it....

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Why is it....

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

...that special guest Trent shot a 14 with Bonners loaned Pharr stocked custom barreled .260 and he shot a 21 with my loaned H-S hunter stocked factory 700 7-08 ? :? Could have been a 22 but that ram stood with a high hip hit. :lol:

We had another great turn out at our monthly match yesterday. Fifteen shooters on a holiday weekend is fantastic for us. Typical breezy prairie winds and about 92 degrees all day. Steve H. won standard rifle with a nice 28. Dave B. got the hunter win with a 25. I treated everyone to an ice cold Rocky Mountain Silver Bullet after the range was picked up. Real nice day.

Last months recycled pictures, same as yesterday. :mrgreen:

http://s766.photobucket.com/user/seveno ... t=3&page=1
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Why is it....

Post by Innocent »

Moral, don't shoot Bonner's rifle.
Hmmm.
Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Would have never lost that ram with a 6.5. :-bd
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Funny Jerry, that same ram got rung at least three times by others, a .260 and twice by the same guy shooting factory 165 gr. .308 hunting ammo. No one had the inclination to just switch it out with another. A prime example of a bad combo of uneven surfaces and other anomalies. Not my problem, I was on bay two! :))
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Likely story... Sounds like you're making excuses for the 7-08.. I think we should rename that rifle of yours "Ringer" from now on. No wonder you let Trent borrow it. 8)
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

That does have a certain ting to it................. goo roo shoots a ringer. =))
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Please, lets not go down the "what rings a ram" road again. :wink:

Trent was using the center rifle, stock 700 with H-S stock. He was firing 150 SMK's, 38.0 Varget on all targets. I was using an extra std. gun...700 with H-S stock, Douglas SS #6 26" rem. magnum contour with same 150 SMK's, 40.0 Varget on all targets. For the hunter match I used the camo H-S stock 700. I was fire forming 50 once fired .243 RP brass. The load was 40.0 IMR 4064 and those 140 Sierra rejects. Outstanding load even in FL sized brass. I needed two minutes of wind at rams, all hit went down. 7mm shooters don't need excuses. :)

All three wear Leupold 6.5-20X with fine duplex.

colorado shooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by colorado shooter »

Trent, said the reason he shot so poorly was because he had a "woody" just holding my fine 260. This physical condition caused his concentration to be some what diminished.

Shooting at factory 7 08 brought he back to reality. I had to tell him hold center and squeeze the trigger. He put it together for the second match.

Dave
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I'm gonna guess it wouldn't take much blood for Trent to do that. A small thimble full? :ymdevil: =))
Jim T.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Jim T. »

While we are on the subject, in a recent Guns & Ammo magazine Craig Boddington wrote an article on the .260 Remington. He related how he chose the .260 for his two daughters first gun. He seemed to insinuate that the 7-08 would be a better choice given the wide disparity in velocity when comparing 140 grain bullets in each cartridge.

I can only assume that if he had sons (at least the ones that turn into "men") instead of "girls" he would have chosen a 7-08 as their first gun???
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Jim, I hope you can make the August match. Bring that new .260, it has enough bench time now..right? Time to shoot a match with it. Got another 24 pack planned. Trent is buying. 8)
Jim T.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Jim T. »

Bob Mc Alice wrote:Jim, I hope you can make the August match. Bring that new .260, it has enough bench time now..right? Time to shoot a match with it. Got another 24 pack planned. Trent is buying. 8)
\

Bob, I will see what I can do. We moved into a new place and it seems my reloading room is the last one to get put together. That combined with being 60 miles from any of the ranges I belong to is putting a serious crimp in my shooting plans.

I can't tell you when the last time I shot that "girly" .260, but I know I still need to work up a ram load and verify that my Leupold 25X scope does not need to go back for the 3rd time. So not much "bench time" on her.

I might be able to make the Greenmill match in a few weeks, maybe I will see you there
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Jerry G wrote:I'm gonna guess it wouldn't take much blood for Trent to do that. A small thimble full? :ymdevil: =))
You little Bastard!
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

colorado shooter wrote:Trent, said the reason he shot so poorly was because he had a "woody" just holding my fine 260. This physical condition caused his concentration to be some what diminished.

Shooting at factory 7 08 brought he back to reality. I had to tell him hold center and squeeze the trigger. He put it together for the second match.

Dave
That's my third leg. It's just a little too long for the CRC range and was making me lean back too much. Normally I can get some tripod action.

That ram that I rung was only hanging on to the rail by about 1/2" when I went down to reset. That case was probably about 2 grains short on powder. Dang McAlice!
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Bob Mc Alice wrote:. Trent is buying. 8)
I spent my money on smoke down the barrel.

I'm gonna have to find new hiding places for money for you!