6.5-06

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

6.5-06

Post by 44 mag »

Has any one out here ever tried the 6.5-06 for high power? Don't shoot it much but I have one and was just wondering what you all thought.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: 6.5-06

Post by BCloninger »

Ouch?
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

One of the better deer/antelope wildcats ever made, silhouette......not so much, holds about 20 grains more powder than needed for this game.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Thanks guys that is kind of what I was thinking. Thought I would just throw it out there to see what the rest of you thought. I had one build and just started making brass and some test loads yesterday and was thing about silhouette why I was doing it. Cant wait to shoot the first whitetail deer with it and see how it really works. Thanks again Mike
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Mike, I would say if you want to try it, you should. Just as an example, I had a 25-06 and a 250 Savage. When I loaded the 25-06 down to 250 Savage velocities, I didn't see much difference in recoil. Also, I have a 280AI, 280Rem and 7x08's. When I load the 280AI and the 280R to velocities around the 7x08, I don't see much difference in recoil. It's important to find a good powder that will work well with low density charges. H4895 seems to work pretty good most of the time for me. If you load down to velocities of the 260 or 6.5x55 you are giving up some load density. It seems high load density helps with extreme spread and standard deviation, but if you find the right powder you can still get good results from the ammunition with lower load densities. I think you could find a combination of bullet weight and powder charge that would work, although it may not be ideal. 6.5x06 is a good cartridge---I have a friend and a relative who use them for hunting---I always wanted one, but have stuck with 6.5x55's.

Jon Carlisle, Cody, Wy
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Mike have you tried it for the varmint silhouette?
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Tom, No I haven't. It is a hunting style gun. I wont be doing much shooting from now on and was thinking it may be fun to mess with. I did try some loads with baby powder and a 120 smk and it has very little recoil. I just mite try it next year.
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

As others have pointed out, it would be worth experimenting with lighter loads which means medium speed (as opposed to slower) powders. 4895 range powders. Varget and such. Find your Chick-pig-turkey BULLET and load a somewhat heavier bullet for rams. I always find the key accuracy variable to be the bullet and not the powder charge or type. Find the bullet your barrel likes and don't burn hundreds of rounds testing and long as accuracy of 1.5 MOA or so is there. Start with Lapua 107, 139 for rams. If you want samples, PM me. Good luck and good shootinng.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

My older son has become really enamored with the 6.5 round for hunting, and is currently looking into 30-06 derived 6.5 rounds and the 6.5x55 Swede for larger game. This would give him the accuracy and recoil control of the 6.5, with the thump of a larger cartridge when needed. AJ may be on to something with tuning the powder choice.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis