More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Remington 700 Varmint in .308

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

BCloninger wrote:
Jerry G wrote:I guess all you 700 owners have seen the recall. :ymdevil:
Nobody here uses the Remington trigger anyway, at least not a stock one.
What? :?: :-t Just saw this statement, could not let it slide.

Bob, my 700's all have the stock trigger. Three are set to 1.5 lbs., others at ~ 2.5 lbs. These are all the old style triggers on older M700's, not the current Xmark triggers on newer rifles. In the right hands these can be tuned and adjusted perfectly for silhouette competition. I got the right hands.

Do a survey, more stock triggers on the line than you think. :)
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Bob Mc Alice wrote:
BCloninger wrote:
Jerry G wrote:I guess all you 700 owners have seen the recall. :ymdevil:
Nobody here uses the Remington trigger anyway, at least not a stock one.
What? :?: :-t Just saw this statement, could not let it slide.

Bob, my 700's all have the stock trigger. Three are set to 1.5 lbs., others at ~ 2.5 lbs. These are all the old style triggers on older M700's, not the current Xmark triggers on newer rifles. In the right hands these can be tuned and adjusted perfectly for silhouette competition. I got the right hands.

Do a survey, more stock triggers on the line than you think. :)
Bob, I would never call anything you've worked on "stock"!
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
African Villager
B Poster
B Poster

Post by African Villager »

OldRanger wrote:Have you considered the Tikka T3 Lite? They make a 308 and it comes in under 6 1/2 lbs.
Tikka T3 CTR or Varmint Models would be my choice all .308 as option but can also be 6.5x55SE/ 7-08 /.260Rem on the Varmint or .260 on the CTR.

Makes weight , good resale , No Nonsense and it prints and may be in same price class as Remington.
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

I'm curious. You mentioned that the gun laws are pretty tough round your parts (which country in Africa by the way). Do they extend to parts? The reason I bring this up is shooting high power you're going to send a lot more bullets down range than you think. Assuming the factory barrel you end up with is a good one, you're still going to end up shooting it out and having to replace it in 3-5 years.

Is it then a hassle to replace the barrel regulation wise or are they only having you register the action?

You've got a wealth of info on this string in the form of Mr McAllice. He needs to write a book (if he hasn't already) on Rem 700's. His only fault is his choice in caliber (the old duffer is shooting a 7-08). You see most sensible folks here in the states use a 6.5mm pill from various platforms be they 260 rem, 6.5x47 lapua or the real oddballs like myself the 260 bobcat (which I'm considering re-naming the 260 Bob McAliceCat). =)) :))

Keep us in the loop with which way you go and most important. Post lots of pictures from your home range!
Res ipsa loquitur
African Villager
B Poster
B Poster

Post by African Villager »

Bigfoot wrote:I'm curious. You mentioned that the gun laws are pretty tough round your parts (which country in Africa by the way). Do they extend to parts? The reason I bring this up is shooting high power you're going to send a lot more bullets down range than you think. Assuming the factory barrel you end up with is a good one, you're still going to end up shooting it out and having to replace it in 3-5 years.

Is it then a hassle to replace the barrel regulation wise or are they only having you register the action?

You've got a wealth of info on this string in the form of Mr McAllice. He needs to write a book (if he hasn't already) on Rem 700's. His only fault is his choice in caliber (the old duffer is shooting a 7-08). You see most sensible folks here in the states use a 6.5mm pill from various platforms be they 260 rem, 6.5x47 lapua or the real oddballs like myself the 260 bobcat (which I'm considering re-naming the 260 Bob McAliceCat). =)) :))

Keep us in the loop with which way you go and most important. Post lots of pictures from your home range!
Bigfoot

I am based in Gordons bay a Suburb (town ) Of CapeTown Metropolitan, South Africa .
Our laws are really more burocratic and time consuming than faulty in substance so all doable it just takes time and lots of proofs and motivational procedure that creates a bit of a ball ache . To replace a barrel is not a problem you just need to scrap ( take old barrel off your name and destroy and re-licence new one ) a 3-5 week procedure or down time normally. I have a .308 Musgrave hunting rifle that on the odd occasion I have a go at steel and about 2000 shots into the barrel
this is my Hunting rifle and don't want to turn it into a competition Frankenstein - So a dedicated rifle for high power Silhouette , small Plains game may suite what I need - I still have to decide if a 6.5x55 is strong enough for Kudu and Oryx at 300m or will a 300WM be a better fit that obviously will not work for MS.

Been Living in Capetown for 6 years and originally from Northern regions hunting dence scrub and bush where the .308 with 180gr or .375 with 300gr rule the roost
as Shots are usually between 50-100m and 150m is a long shot. Down here 200m is standard with 300m not uncommon. .243/270 Win is the popular Smaller hunting calibres and 7mm/300 Mag the bigger ones - not really MS calibres thus the 6.5Swede or .260 ticks all the right boxes as a dual purpose
and since I have a .308 I would prefer the 6.5Swede to not have a potential component mix up with a .260 cartridge ending up in a 308 chamber.

Some of the Specialized chamberings like 6.5 Creedmoore is available but finding brass is just a huge cost and availability limited and such has poor resale because off that.

Will post some pics of local range , have the first shoot this weekend and forecast is hot and windy as it is peak summer here.

Thanks for all the pointers