Best factory gun for Highpower silhouette

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Best factory gun for Highpower silhouette

Post by Snake »

Bob...I don't believe Lapua makes 7-08 brass...they just started making 7mm bullets. But you are otherwise correct....in fact 7-08 brass is almost as easy to find as 308. Reforming from 308 is a pain requiring what I hate...thinning necks :ymsick:
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Snake, new for 2015. Better late than never, but too much cost each for me. The domestic stuff works just fine. :wink:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... 8x57mm-js/

jask, there has been no shortage of 7-08 brass since Remington legitimized the cartridge in 1980. Only just recently due to panic hoarding. Midway had a shipment of WW two weeks ago, sold out in minutes.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

Bob....you must get secret information ...even the Lapua website doesn't list 7-08 brass. Beckley is correct when he said you were 'special'......
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

Snake, If you don't think he's special, give him a call on his cell phone and ask him!
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

I haven't bought any 7-08 brass in a long time. I also made a lot of wild cat cartridges. The only two companies I found with decent brass was Norma and Lapua. I sorted some Remington and Winchester brass for a friend and they were just junk. Anyone reloading that brass is just wasting their time as far as accuracy goes.

Since I retired, I have accumulated a nice machine shop and I also have access to unlimited vibration analysis equipment. In about 3 months, I will have my new shop finished and I am getting the bug to produce some highly accurate rifles. Will have to see if the "bug" continues.
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Was shopping on my day off and thought of this post. While Lapua doesn't currently list 7-08, Norma does. Sinclair has it in stock to boot.

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/bras ... 70488.aspx
Res ipsa loquitur
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

Forming 7-08 from .308 is extremely easy. I bought several thousand Lapua .308 and sorted them for match ammo. About 10% sort perfect. Of Remington and Winchester, none of them have consistent case wall thickness and I have seen over .020 difference with the average about .010. The worst of the Lapua is about .002.
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Jask, it's important to note that we all have different "requirements" for what is necessary. To say "Anyone reloading that brass is just wasting their time as far as accuracy goes." is putting a pretty bold statement against probably 90% of the reloaders out there (especially on this site where we are talking about shooting off-hand, not benchrest). It goes without saying that Lapua is the top of the heap for brass consistency and durability... but it isn't always necessary. You clearly put a very high importance on your brass choice. To say that anyone that isn't using what you are using is wasting their time... kinda comes off a little smug.

For many of us, buying 1000 Lapua cases would be financially difficult and could lead to spousal abuse. :mrgreen:
Jim T.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Jim T. »

jask wrote:I haven't bought any 7-08 brass in a long time. I also made a lot of wild cat cartridges. The only two companies I found with decent brass was Norma and Lapua. I sorted some Remington and Winchester brass for a friend and they were just junk. Anyone reloading that brass is just wasting their time as far as accuracy goes.

Since I retired, I have accumulated a nice machine shop and I also have access to unlimited vibration analysis equipment. In about 3 months, I will have my new shop finished and I am getting the bug to produce some highly accurate rifles. Will have to see if the "bug" continues.

I imagine Bob Mc will comment on your statement. In the meantime, you might want to read the thread at the link below. Keep in mind that most of the commenters on this thread are top F-Class competitors.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index. ... =3795599.0

BTW, I use Lapua and Norma brass extensively.
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

"To say "Anyone reloading that brass is just wasting their time as far as accuracy goes"

I certainly stand by my statement. If someone wants to just "blast away" at the animals, then Lapua brass would not be meaningful but I am talking about accurate reloads. If anyone wants accurate reloads, they are wasting their time if they don't use good brass. I don't sort by weight because that doesn't mean much. Sorting for consistent case wall thickness is most important especially with hunter class rifles. It is also ridiculous to say that 90% of the shooters on this site don't care about accurate ammo because they shoot offhand. You would not be competing in silhouette if you did not care about accurate ammo. The word "competition" says it all. If you can increase the accuracy of your reloads by 1/2 your group size, you are effectively shooting at animals that are 1/2 a group size larger all the way around the animal.

Trent wrote:Jask, it's important to note that we all have different "requirements" for what is necessary. To say "Anyone reloading that brass is just wasting their time as far as accuracy goes." is putting a pretty bold statement against probably 90% of the reloaders out there (especially on this site where we are talking about shooting off-hand, not benchrest). It goes without saying that Lapua is the top of the heap for brass consistency and durability... but it isn't always necessary. You clearly put a very high importance on your brass choice. To say that anyone that isn't using what you are using is wasting their time... kinda comes off a little smug.

For many of us, buying 1000 Lapua cases would be financially difficult and could lead to spousal abuse. :mrgreen:
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

What the heck are you talking about? I never said anyone DIDN'T want accurate ammo, including myself. I can see this is going to be a worthless discussion. You are more interested in exaggerations rather than truth.

So now you are saying that if a person doesn't use Lapua that "they are just blasting at animals"? Do you actually believe that? You literally think that if people don't use Lapua brass that they are wasting their time?

You might just have an inflated view of the down range results of Lapua vs other brass manufacturers. Lapua brass is good stuff, but to say that it's the end all be all is just silly.

It's fine to have a favorite component, what ever that may be, but to basically say that anyone that isn't using your choice is just "blasting" is ridiculous. I'm not here to talk crap about Lapua brass either. It's good stuff. But to say that it is necessary is absurd.
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

Trent, Was someone playing Dentist, poking, proding and hit a nerve with ya?
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

Trent, If anyone wants accuracy, they just shouldn't be messing around with cheap brass. How much does good brass really cost you?

bullets, primers, and powder are the bulk of the cost. That's a lot of money spent shooting for just a 100 rounds. I can take 300 pieces of brass and wear out a barrel. I never shot heavy loads and with just neck sizing, I could use them at least a dozen times. So, do the math. Unless you buy seconds, you spend at least $30 on bullets alone for 100 rounds. Now tell me someone cant spend $5 bucks on quality brass for those same 100 rounds over the life of the brass. That''s 5 cents a round for brass compared to about 30 cents just for the bullet. To not buy quality brass when looking at how cheap it really is boggles the mind.

Good brass just gives you the best bang for the buck. If you use cheap brass, you might as well use seconds for bullets also.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

All of this talk is complete nonsense. Everyone knows that the components that you use don't matter. There are only three rules that you must follow to develop accurate loads: First, do not expose the loads to bright light, especially sunlight. Second, keep them away from water; don't give them any to drink and certainly don't give them a bath. Third, and this one is the most important, NEVER EVER feed them after midnight!

Dustin
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

Oh Shit!!

Is that what happened last night I got shop full of Furry bullet heading little strange wild things.

=)) :)) **==
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!