Best factory gun for Highpower silhouette

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
jeff59
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Best factory gun for Highpower silhouette

Post by jeff59 »

kevinbear wrote:My advice to anyone that asks me this question.
Buy a factory built 700 in 7-08 or 260, put a Leupold 6.5x20 on it, buy Lee dies and Varget, find and load as many pointed 120 or 140 bullets as you can afford, pick up a couple of boxes of heavy matchkings in the caliber you bought, dry fire until your wife/husband or girlfriend/boyfriend thinks you've lost your mind. Shoot matches, lots of matches, sell your golf clubs, it's a stupid game! :-bd
Agree 100%!

Dry firing and shooting matches are the most effective ways to increase scores.

Jeff
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

What's golf?!? 8-}
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
African Villager
B Poster
B Poster

Post by African Villager »

Trent , Jask

It is nice to see the "thickness of your cases " debate progressing - had a good laugh and thanks for the entertainment.
The way I see it , it is best to be aware of what your opponents are doing , If all are using Win/Rem cases you should experience no problem competing with Win/Rem cases .

if everyone else is using Norma/Lapua and you compete with Win/Rem you will have to be a real crack shot to stay in the running . In tight comps 1-2 points or even shootouts determine 1st , 2nd ,3rd. Lapua and other uber fancy equipment also miss.

I have found my off the Shelf high power rifle .
After searching and searching till blue in the face the one that ticks all the Boxes is a Tikka T3 Varmint in 6.5x55SE - now need to put my pennies in the tin

1:8 Twist , weight , price , feel , reputation , ruggedness , All just comes together.

I spent a good 3 months pestering every gunshop in CapeTown and have seen many many rifles, Remington was always on my wish list - but honestly what they send down here lately is utter junk , tool marks , rust , just iffy quality in general , Ruger has a new model that is finished in plastic - after 2 shots I am scared it will melt.

Howa/ Weatherby / Winchester tops the American brands with some real class rifles for Hunting , Then there is Mossberg and Marlin XL series - these rifles look like they have been put together by some kid in his parents garage.

then there is the SSS

Sako Sauer Steyr - Poetry , very expensive and prized wall flowers they are just too pretty to shoot( a lot) . :D
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Remingiton's quality has gone way down hill in the past several years. 1 1/2 minutes is their go/no go.
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

When I bought my Rem 7-08 hunter, I got 2 of them. After cerro casting both chambers, I kept one. If both chambers had been out of my tolerance, I would have bought 2 more to try. You do not have to fire a rifle to cerro cast so they can just be resold as new. I was shooting IMSSU rules international and they require factory barrels if replaced.

As for practice, dry fire only short repeated sessions. Don't get tired and only dry fire about 20 times per session. I spaced the sessions at about 15 minutes. You want to learn to come to the line and break on target the first shot.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

The NECO tool is the best way to measure case wall, run out etc. great tool. I wish that brass made that much difference (except in bench rest..but they all use PPC so its academic)....best devote more attention to barrel and chamber and crown :-!
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

Sorting brass by casewall and indexing will cut your group size by 1/2. How can you say it doesn't make a difference?

I ask this question. If I see a difference in every rifle I have, do you think I am an lying?
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I'm all for sorting....but I can't get overheated about brass. other things are more significant....sorry. I love Lapua but I use other brands and can't see much difference...but I sort all my brass. The term 'lying' is inapplicable....
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

I'll starting using Lapua brass when I can break every shot on an animal and group size keeps me from hitting them. It would be great to have benchrest accuracy from a silhouette rifle but very few people are good enough offhand for it to make any difference in there score in highpower. Smallbore guns are way less accurate but people still shoot much better scores with a 22, methinks the guns accuracy is not the issue in poor highpower scores.

I have 50 Lapua 308 cases I necked down to 7-08, my factory barreled 700 is marginally more accurate with that brass....off the bench. I made it for a 600 yard shoot they have at BLGC gun club, have not shot one of those yet but probably will this year.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

There are at least 3 good reasons why .22 silhouette scores are higher. 1. Less recoil 2. Less time for wind to affect the bullet. 3. The targets are 1/5 size but the bullets are huge when compared. A .22 bullet would be equal to a 1.1 inch bullet in high power. Edge shots count.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Jask
And a 3/4 group on a 22 ram is approximately 1/3 the depth of that ram, extrapolate that 1/3 of a highpower ram, approximately 5 inch's?
My point is in 22 were perfectly satisfied with a 3/4 moa gun but when it comes to highpower some people think they need a BR rig to be competitive.
BTW I would dispute your 2nd and 3rd points, wind is much more difficult to contend with in smallbore as compared to highpower, edge hits frequently topple targets in highpower as well.
It's the recoil plain and simple, you stick around here for a while and you'll get educated about this game! :D
Also, please fill out your profile just as a common courtesy to the people on this forum, we pretty much know each other and have met at the big tournaments, nice to know where you shoot, where your from.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

If you have a more difficult time with wind when shooting .22, that is not how I see it. Even though my HP rifles are more accurate, it still does not make up for the effectively larger .22 bullet.

When I state that measuring case wall thickness and indexing is important, I am not repeating information that I read somewhere. This is all from my own experimentation. If you did not get better results from sorting brass or indexing, then I would question your basic reloading and load development techniques. You have to have your load fine tuned before you can clearly see the results of case indexing.

BTW, Sorry I did not know about the user profiles, no one would probably know who I am anyway. I have not been actively shooting in the past 14 years since most of the ranges near here shut down their matches. We had a rifle range about 2 miles from our house but it's gone now.
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

BTW, the last time I saw Tim Kurreck, not "kurrick", he was shooting a Sako 6.5 x 55. Someone mentioned he was one of those with a hunter grand slam. Those are really good rifles. I don't know if he is still shooting but his website shows he owns two airplanes and is laying up fiberglass for another.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Well to the maybe two guys/gals that answered my question about a rifle thanks. I have a Kimber Montana in .257 Roberts that I will use with a variable 3x9 scope...it's my hunting rig so silhouette will be great practice. For all of the replies that argue over case thickness or whatever, I'm a little confused as to who's right about what so I'll just stick to the advice of Al Foust.
Just Be Nice **==
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Sorting brass by casewall and indexing will cut your group size by 1/2. How can you say it doesn't make a difference?

I ask this question. If I see a difference in every rifle I have, do you think I am an lying?

Tests done by myself and others have not shown that to be a fact. There has been recent posts on that subject here on steel chickens.

There may be a small improvement but not very much. We aren't shooting bench rest here.