Best factory gun for Highpower silhouette

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Best factory gun for Highpower silhouette

Post by glen ring »

I know this has been covered a lot but I wasn't in the market for a gun then. I want a factory ready high power silhouette gun in a caliber I can find brass and bullets in. Nothing exotic and not too expensive.
Just Be Nice **==
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Best factory gun for Highpower silhouette

Post by High Speed »

glen ring wrote:I know this has been covered a lot but I wasn't in the market for a gun then. I want a factory ready high power silhouette gun in a caliber I can find brass and bullets in. Nothing exotic and not too expensive.
I don't think that gun is in production at this time. :-?
Stay Safe
Mark
yankee
A Poster
A Poster

Post by yankee »

You do not mention if you are looking for a standard class rifle or a hunter class rifle. A couple come to mind. For standard a Savage predator hunter in 260 rem with a leupold 25x and signature rings comes in at 10 lbs and should shoot good. This has the accu trigger and accu stock which is plastic but has an aluminum insert molded in. The action sits on this very nicely and tightens up evenly. I believe it also comes in 6.5 creedmore. For hunter there are a couple Savage rifles in 6.5 creedmore and 260 and 708 that should work they would be the 10, 11 or 12 series.
Or Remington has the sps in 260 with an 8 twist barrel new this year which would fit in the hunter class at 8lbs with a leupold 24x and signature rings. The main problem with this is the stock. A typical wimpy plastic that the action does not sit in evenly. The difference when tightening the front and rear action screws is at least 3/16 of an inch as you pull the action to the stock. This is enough to put the action in a bind, enough of a bind that it changes the trigger pull almost a pound when the action is tightened in the stock. So a good bedding job is in order.

Sako makes the model 85 in 260 and 708 and they are good rifles that shoot. A nice thing about them is the magazine holds 5 rounds.
Tikka is also something to look at.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Yankee
Those are the exact guns I have been looking at. I guess I'm on the right track. This will be a once in a lifetime investment for me so I'm researching and asking anyone I can. I appreciate your well thought out reply.

Mark....
Just Be Nice **==
yankee
A Poster
A Poster

Post by yankee »

I forgot to tell you a good web site to look at is www.gricegunshop.com in Clearfield, Pa. Look at the sale add. compare with the Manufacture site. Call them they love to talk. You will find slight variations from all manufactures so you want to check the stock numbers to be sure. Important for 6.5mm barrels you want a 1 in 8 twist .
DennisC
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DennisC »

yankee wrote:You do not mention if you are looking for a standard class rifle or a hunter class rifle. A couple come to mind. For standard a Savage predator hunter in 260 rem with a leupold 25x and signature rings comes in at 10 lbs and should shoot good. This has the accu trigger and accu stock which is plastic but has an aluminum insert molded in. The action sits on this very nicely and tightens up evenly. I believe it also comes in 6.5 creedmore. For hunter there are a couple Savage rifles in 6.5 creedmore and 260 and 708 that should work they would be the 10, 11 or 12 series.
Or Remington has the sps in 260 with an 8 twist barrel new this year which would fit in the hunter class at 8lbs with a leupold 24x and signature rings. The main problem with this is the stock. A typical wimpy plastic that the action does not sit in evenly. The difference when tightening the front and rear action screws is at least 3/16 of an inch as you pull the action to the stock. This is enough to put the action in a bind, enough of a bind that it changes the trigger pull almost a pound when the action is tightened in the stock. So a good bedding job is in order.

Sako makes the model 85 in 260 and 708 and they are good rifles that shoot. A nice thing about them is the magazine holds 5 rounds.
Tikka is also something to look at.
What was that one you tested out at Zwolle? TC? Definitely want to step clear of that one... L-)
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Tika T3 in 6.5x55. Many use this set up and it shoots sub MOA right out of the box.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Bob beat me to the punch.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 194035#PIC

Under $700 currently.
Res ipsa loquitur
yankee
A Poster
A Poster

Post by yankee »

Dennis That was a TC Dimension in 708. Ugly gun but holds very good, very good trigger. Really moved around when it got hot. Put the 243 barrel on it the other day so may try some light bullets and use it on ground hogs this summer.
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

Bob259 wrote:Tika T3 in 6.5x55. Many use this set up and it shoots sub MOA right out of the box.
excellent choice........ great trigger too..
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hattrix »

Glen,
I shoot a Weatherby Vanguard Sporter in 7-08. It shoots better than I can (not that it is saying a lot!) It shoots sub MOA. Runs about $625 and it does have the roll over cheek rest that works well for me. Also have Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 6.5 Creedmoor, it shoots great as well. I know neither of these are the "chosen" rifle for this game, but they work well for me. Also, no problem finding brass or bullets for the 6.5. I little tough finding brass for the 7-08. Just something for thought.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Just neck down some 308 brass. :-bd
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Bigfoot wrote:Bob beat me to the punch.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 194035#PIC

Under $700 currently.
Another vote for the Tikka in 6.5. They are great rifles. The 6.5x55 is usually very hard to find in the US but it looks like they are somewhat available. Tureau has two of them.

Dustin
jask
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jask »

A lot of companies do not sell 7-08 brass because it is so easy to make with 308 cases. Don't skimp on brass. Use Lapau.

As for the poor fit of the synthetic stock for the Rem sps, it uses "tip pressure" in an attempt to reduce barrel vibration. I bedded mine and filed off those "tips". It worked fine.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

jask wrote:A lot of companies do not sell 7-08 brass because it is so easy to make with 308 cases. Don't skimp on brass. Use Lapau.
jask, the following seven head stamps are commonly available for 7-08 reloading brass. That pretty much covers all manufacturers.

Remington...Winchester...Hornady....Prvi... Nosler...Norma...Lapua.

Federal makes 7-08 brass sold as loaded ammo only, not as a separate loading component.