Scope recomendation

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
krgriggs
B Poster
B Poster

Scope recomendation

Post by krgriggs »

We are doing a couple of test matches this year at Tappanhill gun club to see if it is viable to shoot this game. I need to buy a scope for my rem 700 7mm-08. I use leupold scopes. I figure a fx-3 variable to 25 power is best with a dot reticle? Am I correct
yankee
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Scope recomendation

Post by yankee »

A little confusion here. I believe the FX is a fixed power scope and not variable. Yes, they are available in 25 power. Dot size is 1/2 or 3/8 minute. In this game we look for a couple things in scopes. We shoot at different distances so having an adjustable objective is very helpful to eliminate parallax. Large external type target adjusting knobs for elevation and windage are also nice, again because we are adjusting the scopes for different distances and constantly changing elevation. The dot reticles are a nice addition. The 1/2 and 3/8 minute probably being the most popular. Leupold also makes a 1/8 minute target dot but that is very small on fine wires and the image can be easily lost in the grass or berms around the targets. The bottom line is if you are just experimenting for a match or two I would shoot what you have in hand. A 3x9 or 4x12 will show you what is going on and you can get a good feel for the game. Then go to some other matches, see what others are using and look thru them to help you make your decision.
krgriggs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by krgriggs »

Thanks Yankee , yea need a variable with a dot I think. No matches around here to go to . Could you guys tell,me what you are using ?
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

I use a 25X Leupold FX-3 with a 1/2 MOA dot reticle on my HP rifle. It's perfect. I don't like variable power scopes - I shoot 24X-25X with 1/2 min dots on all my silhouette rifles. Leupold, Weaver, Sightron and Bushnell are all good but I like Leupold for HP because of the extended eye relief and clarity out to 500m. I use a Weaver on my smallbore rifle and Weavers & Bushnells on the air rifles.

Dustin
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

I have a pair of those 25x's with 3/8ths dot on two 7-08 match guns. Also have 6.5-20's on several 7-08's both with fine duplex and 1/8th tiny dot. One of my favorites is the fixed M8 12x. Iv'e got them in fine duplex, 1/8th dot and a pair with 1/2 min. dot. I like using them all. The advantage, IMO, goes to a higher power variable being able to dial down the power during heavy mirage or windy conditions. I have shot good scores in high wind at 6.5x.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I have a 6.5 x 20 Leupold with a 3/8 dot. the power has been bumped to 18 x 40 by Premier. I have the same scope on both of my SB rifles.