WTB - Scope Caps (Covers)

Want to buy or want to sell.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: WTB - Scope Caps (Covers)

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

The black samples were in the mail today. These are a much better cap than the soft yellow ones. They fit 6.5 x 20X EFR's like they were made for them. At one inch long they compress air going on and create suction coming off. Trimming them to the same length as Premier eliminated these tendencies and still retained a tight fit. The material is stiffer and has a .015 thicker wall over Premier's .055 wall. They are too loose on the objective end of non EFR (silver scope) and all standard 40mm AO Leupolds. If left in the one inch length they will reach the knurling on these 40mm AO scopes and hold well as shown on a 12X AO. No dice fitting the old style 40mm sunshade, too loose. Also, if left in the one inch length they will catch just enough of the FX3 knurling as shown on the 30X in the picture and hold well.

I will call them on Monday to see if smaller quantities can be ordered.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

......pictures added separately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

I'll measure my fx3 and see which one should fit, order a sample too to see how it fits. Sent you a pm Mc Alice.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

The FX3's , the 40mm AO's and the old style 40mm sunshades share the the same 1.958 dia. front ring. Looks like the HVC-1937-16 black cap would be a good fit when trimmed to 1/2" long. That cap says 1.937 dia. on the chart. I got some samples on the way to check out. I still will call them Monday for possible purchasing in reduced quantities. Future report coming. Those uncut black caps fit my El Paso Weaver T-16X perfectly.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Well, bad news. The manufacturer will not sell less than what is on the website chart amount for each size. That means 250-500-600 counts per sizes mentioned. I was advised to check with retail vendors of their products for smaller amounts such as Fastenal, MSC, McMaster-Carr, etc. Few had these sizes available and if they did prices each were insane. They would be about 45 cents each if bought in bulk.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/detai ... 3?fromRR=Y
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Did you get the ones for the FX3? I might be willing to buy the quantities as they are.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Not yet, should be late this week. Got an email sample shipped notice yesterday. You would have to spend close to $600.00 to get all three sizes needed to make 2 pc. sets. More money than I would invest in 1350 dust caps. I doubt there is enough interest in them here to make this worthwhile. I could be wrong? :)
Heavybarrell
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Heavybarrell »

Bob
Thanks for all the effort in this endeavor. I did notice on MSC quantity 1-9 was $31.00. That's per hundred (Quantity 1 = 100). So figure $75-$80 for a 100 pair of scopes caps. I'll stew this over and maybe jump on this.

Thanks again, Butch
Tony
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tony »

I got some caps online from Mcmaster-Carr. Look under vinyl caps.They had severa sizes and I believe you could get them in quantities of 50 or 100 depending on the size.
Canon82
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Canon82 »

I did the same and they fit perfectly. They also have 1/2” high ones like the one you cut down.
Scott
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Thanks, I did not see that light grey print indicating per 100 count bags. #-o That's a whole lot better.

Here is another place with very reasonable minimum quantities and pricing.
http://www.mocap.com/plastic-caps-round-vinyl.html

RVC9044 ...1.500 dia. qty. 10-20-30-40-50 $0.91 ea. .500 long
RVC9324 ...1.937 dia. qty. 10-20-30-40-50 $1.80 ea. 1.500 long (cut to 1/2 inch)
RVC9047 ...2.000 dia. qty. 10-20-30-40-50 $2.10 ea. 1.500 long (cut to 1/2 inch)
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

I finally got a 1.937 dia. sample today from Mocap. It only comes in 1.50 length in the 10-50 qty. range. Cutting with scissors is easy, no special skills needed. :D I just pressed in a spice bottle cap from the wife's collection, used a pen to trace an ink line inside at about half inch, then cut at line. My samples in this size from Caplugs got lost in the mail and are being resent priority mail. This 1.937 (1-15/16") dia. is PERFECT for the FX3's...any Leupold 40mm AO's...and the old style 40mm sunshade. Mocap is the way to go for Leupold scopes. Reasonable purchase quantities and good prices.