Eley Club Extra Report

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
lucho
B Poster
B Poster

Eley Club Extra Report

Post by lucho »

This year a friend of mine went to the Southern Nationals. While he was there he called me and told me Guns and Gears was selling cases of Eley Club Extra (Orange Box) for $520.00 per case. They were told that this was down graded Eley TenX.

Since I had gotten good ammo at the Southern Nationals in the past, I asked my friend to buy a case for me.

This weekend I tested the ammo I got. It is lot # 1007-01035.

First, let me give some background on how I test rimfire ammo. This technique was developed by Dan Theodore and I feel it has many advantages over conventional rimfire testing.

To evaluate a brand of ammo, I first shoot a 50 shot group at 100 yards, at the same time I measure the velocity of each round with a chronograph.

I then look at the group size and MORE importantly the extreme velocity spread of the 50 shots.

After performing this test on many types of ammunition it has become apparent that in general the lower the extreme spread the smaller the group size. Also, I might add the more expensive the ammunition.

For example.

Wolf target will group about 2 inches and have a velocity spread of about 45 ft/sec.

Eley (2 groups) Match EPS Groups about 1 inch each with an extreme spread of 21 and 24 ft/sec

Remington/Eley Plus (which I was told was mislabeled Match EPS) shot 1.25 - 1.5 inch groups with extreme spreads of 29, 36, and 37 ft/sec.

The Eley Club Extra I recently purchased for $520.00 per case shot quite well

I shot two groups measuring 1.25 and 1.5 inches with extreme velocity spreads of 25 and 29 ft/sec. (note: I usually only look at the vertical group size in order to discount the effects of the wind.)

Needless to say I am quite happy with this lot.

As a side note, I believe this is the same Ammunition Chicken George and Kathy Winstead-Severin are selling.

Hope this was informative.

Lucho

[/img]
Troy G
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Troy G »

You shot two groups of 50 that measured 1.25 and 1.5 at 100 yards?
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I bought some of that stuff and it groups well. I shoot 5 shot groups just like a match, and they were all under 1 MOA. The groups looked huge out at the rams because most were in a small cluster with one out in left field. Measuring them put them between 3/4" and 1" for extreme spread. They seem to shoot about 1 inch higher at 100m than my Eley white box. For the rest of the animals the scope settings are the same as the white box.
Travelor
A Poster
A Poster

Eley Winnsboro Ammo

Post by Travelor »

I also bought some of this ammo, Lot# 1007 04048 speed 1051. I have always heard that machines 3 and 4 produce the better ammo and I was shooting Match EPS at speed 1056 at the time with great results. I believe that the speed 1051 was the first to sell out at Winnsboro.

I shot numerous 5 shot groups at a local indoor range at 100 yards using my Anschutz 1712 with a Leupold 6.5x20 scope and Sinclair rest with Protektor rear bag. Smallest grop was .558" and largest was just under 1".

I think that even with this quality of ammo, the machine and velocity makes a difference enen with my limited experience.

But your mileage and results may vary.

The BR crowd in my area believes that the new flat nose-with-a-dimple bullet found on the EPS ammo bucks the wind better than the round nose bullet. It would be quite interesting if someone tested round nose and EPS "nosed" ammo side by side in wind to find out.
George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
lucho
B Poster
B Poster

yes I did

Post by lucho »

Yes I shot two groups of 50 shots in each group that measured 1.25 and 1.5 inch.

Lucho
Troy G
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Troy G »

Just wanted to clarify as that is outstanding accuracy from a gun and bullet combo with a .22 rimfire.